Gynecomastia. (photos)

I just want to know around how much my surgery would cost around my area which is in Orange County I also want to know if I have really bad gynecomastia or just regular I'm about 200 pounds and I'm 5'8 I know I'm over weight because my doctor told me I was over weight when I was at 180 pounds I'm wondering if I lost wieght would it make a change on my breast? If I dropped about 50-60 pounds

Gynecomastia

Correction of gynecomastia is about $4500-8500 in the So. Cal. area. You have true gynecomastia and weight loss can help but surgery is the only treatment (assuming you are not on any medication). Surgical management is a combination of liposuction and direct excision of the gland. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia, what to do?

Hi Gynecomastiasucks,Thanks for your question and photos. connector Matthews the difficult condition.  It can't be treated in three ways. The three ways to treat gynecomastia are liposuction, ultrasound and direct excision. Prices vary based on what exactly you need which can only be determined by an in person consultation. Surgery can done with a half moon incision or periareolar incision or the one stitch that I used. The less scarring the better. Cost for all three types of procedures done at the same time run from 4.5-9K here in the phoenix metropolitan area. Your case is moderate and not severe. Weight loss would help but likely make the gland more prominent. Good Luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #gynecomastia #moobs Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Depends if you have fibrous tissue or just fatty tissue

You have an average amount of gynecomastia.   I always like my patients to be at an optimal weight for general health reasons.    But if you eat well and exercise and this is where you are at, I would not worry about more weight loss.   If you have firm nodules under your nipples, these will not vary with weight loss, but if most of your bulk is due to diffuse fattiness, then weight loss might help.   

What is the cost of gynecomastia surgery?

Gynecomastia removal can cost anywhere from $2500 to $7500 depending on what is done- liposuction versus removal of all tissue versus also removal of skin. If you lose weight from your breasts then losing weight may decease it from there. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cost of gynecomastia surgery

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include: 1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA. 2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Costs

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Gynecomastia repair

You would make a great candidate for a gynecomastia repair. Gynecomastia repair is a safe, effective, and commonly performed surgery. Please see examples of patients below. Gynecomastia surgeon's fee starts at 5K. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and you are right about losing weight first.  This will allow you to see just how much breast tissue you really have but I think you will ultimately need surgery to remove some of your breast tissue. I would recommend you visit a board certified plastic surgeon who can give you the proper advise and help you through the process.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and weight loss

So a couple points related to your question on gynecomastia. First the pictures are a huge help, and yes with most body contouring procedures it's always better to be closer to your goal body weight. Loosing 50 pounds may be tough, but loosing 25 might be realistic and surgery can be a good motivating carrot. You do look like you have typical gynecomastia which is partly fatty deposits in the breast and partly stiffer glandular tissue under the nipple area. Especially if you had that breast shape when you were much lighter it's not going to completely vanish with just weight loss. In my experience you are best served by liposuction, and some direct glandular excision through a small incision at the lower half of the areola. Pricing in your area will be all over the map for every surgeon will determine what they think the time and expertise to fix the issue should cost. Hope that helps and good luck moving forward

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss prior to Surgery?

It always helps to get to an optimum weight prior to any type of cosmetic surgery, and specifically with gynecomastia surgery, your chest will look different if/when you lose a good amount of weight.  You would be wise to drop your weight and re-evaluate your chest appearance.  You may still need the surgery, but you'll have a much better result.

Hope this helps.

George H. Pope, MD