Do I have gynecomastia? If it is a gland, it's not right behind my nipple (Photo)

When pinching for the gland I'm not sure if I'm looking for the right thing. I'm order for me to feel something firm I have to pinch inward all the way down to the muscle so I'm confused.

Doctor Answers 6

Gynecomastia treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It appears that you have true #gynecomastia requiring surgical correction. The only way to treat puffy nipples is direct excision of the gland via a small incision under the areola. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in male breast reduction, who has great photos, and is an expert in the field. #malebreastreduction

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 318 reviews

Candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Many men ask themselves if they are candidates for gynecomastia surgery. You need to consider this question yourself, as only you understand exactly how your chest makes you feel. Before approaching a physician you should consider some of the following questions. Does the shape of your chest bother you to such a degree that you think you may benefit from surgery? Do you have anxiety about revealing your chest in socially acceptable public situations? Have others commented on your chest? Do you go to lengths to hide your chest (special undergarments, large sweaters, etc.)? Does your chest interfere with your confidence in intimate situations? Are you ashamed of your condition? Does your chest cause feelings of guilt or depression? Have you spoken with friends, family, and loved ones about your condition? If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you should carefully weigh the advantages and disadvantages of male breast reduction. Ask yourself if gynecomastia eradication might improve your psychological, physical, and social well-being. Consult a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in the field of male breast reduction, and you will be able to determine your best options for surgery to meet the results you desire.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Candidate for gynecomastia removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You appear to have a mild case of gynecomastia, as you have a projection of tissue at the nipple areola area.  You are obviously not overweight, so this is not excess fat causing the projection.  You should be able to feel solid tissue just behind the nipple areola area when you pinch gently.  Any solid tissue you feel is most likely breast tissue or "gland" as it's sometimes described in forums such as this.  If it's been present for a couple of years, chances are it won't go away without surgery.

George H. Pope, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon

Do I have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your pictures.  The term "gynecomastia" means enlarged male breasts.  This can be due to either enlarged breast glands, excess fat, or both.  Either way, the treatment involves a simple surgery to remove the excess fat through liposuction with excision of some glandular tissue if necessary.  Incisions are small and recovery is quick.  After an examination, a plastic surgeon will be able to assess your condition and give you advice on treatment.  I hope this helps!

Gynecomastia issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.  It looks like you have gynecomastia.  However a evaluation in person should be done in order to get you the right treatment.  An ultrasound scan will help you to rule out the gynecomastia.  Hope this helps.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 99 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.