Had facelift and neck lift. Left with jowls and square man like face

I recently had a facelift neck lift, the neck looks bumpy, hoping that will go away, and the face well, not so good. Doctor said I would look 15 yrs younger, I look maybe two years younger ..in fact I looked younger with face lift tapes. He gave me a square jaw where I had an oval one and I still have jowls. People think I am older since my surgery. I am so sad and have to go back to wearing facelift tapes after spending almost 16,000 ..I can afford another surgery what can I do?

Facelift post op

It sounds like you may still have swelling.  Everyone is different and heals at a different rate.  I would recommend that you try to be patient and wait for all the swelling to go down.  It usually take at the least a few months for all the swelling to go down.   I do recommend that you follow up with your surgeon.  Good luck and hang in there~

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after facelift

Thank you for the question/concerns. Depending on how far out you are after the surgery, much of this may be residual swelling. Swelling is affected by gravity, so if there is fluid in the tissues, this may be more apparent along the jawline and immediately under the chin. That said, if you are healed and have residual issues, you may need some revision work. Please check in with your surgeon. If you don't feel comfortable with that, please get a second opinion from a surgeon specializing in facial cosmetic surgery. Take care.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift- don't look right!

Thank you for asking about your facelift.
  • Don't despair -
  • You are very swollen.
  • Things change and improve immensely as swelling subsides.
  • You should see improvement in swelling in 6 weeks, final result in 6 - 18 months.
  • This is a biologic process and we can't hurry it up.
  • Your surgeon however should not tell you how many years young you will look - result range from looking fantastic for your age to truly 20 years younger.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Face lift issue

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your results. You would need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.   Showing preop and post-op photos would be helpful. 

Thank you for your question. How long ago did you have a faceIift? I ask because your bumpy neck, jowls, and jaw will change as you heal. Also, please post pictures.A Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift could address the jowls and jaw. I suggest that you consult with a single or board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Square jaw after face lift

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your results. It is hard to give advice without comparing before and after photos, or when your surgery was. If you're still within 6 months of your procedure I'd recommend being patient especially if the neck is still lumpy. One frequent cause of uncorrected jowls is submandibular glands that have descended below the jaw. Also share your concerns with your doctor or get a second opinion with another facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes. 

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Without photos and time frames it is impossible to say. Before and after photos are both needed. There are often solutions to problems given the right timing and expectations.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Facelift Result

You say you had a facelift recently, but how recently?  It takes several months before you see your final result.  And occasionally facelifts have to be revised.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

George H. Pope, MD

Facelift - healing

Depending on how long ago your procedure was, it may just be due to swelling. It's important to follow up and stay in contact with your surgeon who can guide you through what to expect in your healing process. 

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

It sounds like you are swollen.  Everyone heals at a different rate.  To help with the swelling you could sleep elevated may with a wedge pillow, drink plenty of fluids, and take walks daily for mild exercise.  Patients tend to get depressed a couple of weeks after surgery, but this soon will pass.  Stay positive and do your park to heal for a nice result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD