What to do for laxity around mouth? (photos)

I'm 31 years old. I lost some weight and I have loose skin around my mouth. I hate it and fear it's only going to get worse. I'd like to be proactive. I had one consultation and the Dr recommended ultherapy, but I have read numerous horror stories of it actually making loose skin worse over time. Do I need a facelift already?! Help please.

Fat loss

Given your age and the gentle downturn at the corner of your mouth, I wonder if it volume loss from your midface you are experiencing. This is relatively common in the 30s and is best treated by replacing that volume. This can be done via filler or fat and has excellent medium term results.  Unfortunately we cannot halt the ageing process, but certainly this is a simpler technique for you. Hope that helps. Adam Goodwin

Skin Laxity

Hello,I agree with you, Ultherapy really hasn't proven it's worth as a 'skin tightener', and may very well cause fat reduction, something that is not desirable in the face. Beyond that, you don't really have laxity, you have changes in your skin composition, and possibly in subcutaneous fat content. I think you'd be better off with hyaluronic gel fillers, a safe and reversible way of improving skin contours and appearance.Best of luck! 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What to do for laxity around mouth

At this age I think using fillers is a better choice. I will make your face look a little fuller but I do not think a face lift is the best option at this time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Fat Transfer Would Be Ideal

I have done occasionally done facelifts at an early age for those with massive weight loss and marked skin laxity, but you do not fall into that category. Although fillers can improve your laxity somewhat, they are temporary, and not the best long-term solution. In my patients’ experience, Ultherapy has been disappointing as well. With weight loss, your face has lost fat, and so fat transfer would be the optimal solution. Even if you are relatively thin, using small cannulas and harvesting from multiple sites can yield significant volume without donor site problems, and it gives lasting improvement. You would benefit from significant volume (many cc's).

Lower Face

Underneath the skin that you are noticing around your mouth is loose muscle. There is also  a deep indentation in the lower part of the cheek above your jawline.  What you're experiencing  is a combination of primarily volume loss and as a result of that, muscle laxity. There does not seem to be much skin excess. That being said, I would recommend researching volume replacement with fat transfer or hyaluronic acid fillers.  These must be performed by  a doctor who is highly experienced in the technique required for this area. Placing filler or fat in the wrong area will only worsen the problem.  It may also be beneficial to consider a mini-lower facelift to address the loose muscle. Unfortunately, if you just have procedures that tighten skin (non-surgical or surgical), there is a very good chance that you'll be disappointed , because, again, the skin is not the problem. 

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laxity around mouth

Based on the photo, you may benefit from volume replacement from fillers or fat transfer in the mid face and possibly additional fillers in the lower face. Consult in person with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon who is also an experienced and expert injector. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laxity around Mouth

Thank you for your question! Based on your photograph, and your age I would think that a hyaluronic filler would be an ideal place to start to help resolve this laxity around the mouth.  Hyaluonic acid fillers, such as Juvederm or Restylane, are made from molecules that make up cartilage.  They work not only by adding volume, but also by hydrating the skin.  Be sure to consult with a board certified, fellowship-trained facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation.I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Regional volumization

You are still relatively young.  Your choices are surgical or nonsurgical.  I would consider volume replacement at this point.  There are some spectacular results achieved with Sculptra in this region.  Hyaluronic fillers would also do the job: Juvederm/Juvederm Voluma/Radiesse/Restylane Lift.  Surgical options would be to obtain your own fat and injected as a filler.  Each one of these options have pros and cons.  Consult with an expert in your region.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs. Fillers

Hello ziveli001,Thank you for your question and photo. It appears to me that you are experiencing minor lower face jowling and loss of volume. This is something that is common in individuals your age. My best recommendation would be to consider fillers like Juvederm and Voluma. This will help restore the loss of volume in the cheeks along with minimizing the jowling. My best option would be to consult with an expert injector that could assist with facial rejuvenation with Hyaluronic fillers. I hope this was helpful.

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Laxity around the mouth

Thank you for your question and your photo. Based off that photo you provided it does not appear that you need a facelift at the time. To address the lost weight in your cheek area something like Sculptra would be good to fill in and build that up again. Again go and consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get their opinion on what should be done to address your areas of concern. Internet discussions do not replace the advice of your physician. Wish you all the best,
Dr. Henry Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS