I'm having a tummy tuck and I was told not to drink black or green tea for the few weeks before surgery. Why is this exactly?

Tea, supplements, etc

Thanks for your inquiry.  Many prescription medications and dietary and herbal products can cause concerns during surgery like increase bleeding, blood pressure changes, and even wound healing problems.  Your doctor has reviewed your medications, supplements and habits and is trying to minimize such complications.  Surgery is a collaborative effort of the surgeon, his/her staff, and the patient and his/her caregivers. If you disagree with this recommendation please ask your surgeon for his/her full explanation and best of luck at surgery.  

Avoiding black or green tea before surgery

A lot of supplements, natural herbs, and over the counter items tend to thin out the blood.  So before under going any type of surgery there is list of things you should avoid to prevent any additional bleeding during surgery; they can also affect blood clotting and affect the healing . So If you were asked to refrain from drinking it and are considering surgery I would follow your Dr.'s pre-operative instructions so that you may obtain the best results possible.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

I'm having a tummy tuck and I was told not to drink black or green tea for the few weeks before surgery. Why is this exactly

Thank you for your question.  There are a few things patients need to discontinue before surgery to decease any potential complications.  Caffeine will increase blood pressure and may cause bleeding. Best wishes on a successful surgery.

Green and black tea restrictions after surgery

Thank you for your question. Some surgeons suggest to stay away from herbal supplements including teas. Caffeine can increase your blood pressure and green tea can increase bleeding. Every plastic surgeon has pre and post operation instructions they will give you. Review the specific instructions given to you by your surgeon and make sure to ask if you have questions about them. 

Tea before TT

Thank you for your question. has caffeine which can cause bleeding by rising blood pressure. It will be good for you to follow instructions from your PS for the best possible outcome

Black or green tea before tummy tuck

Green tea has some major benefits for health, but does increase bleeding potential so is usually held before surgery. Black tea is has caffeine, and therefore can raise blood pressure leading to bleeding as well. Your surgeon will usually recommend what to stay away from before and immediately after surgery.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon