How long should I wear a compression garment after tummy tuck/lipo? How will I know it's okay to stop wearing it?

I had my procedure out of state and they told me I could stop wearing the compression garment and asked how will I know I'm ready to stop wearing it and all they would tell me the longer you wear it the better. That did not help or answer my question. Can you give me any guidance? Would there be any signs that I'm not ready?

Tummy tuck

It is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has a slightly different aftercare protocol. If you are unclear of their instructions then I would ask them to clarify and be specific. I recommend keeping the compression garment on for up to 4 weeks for optimal results and swelling reduction. Good luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Typically your plastic surgeon will ask you to wear a compression garment for approximately 4 weeks post-op to reduce swelling. Your board certified plastic surgeon should give you clear instructions on post-op care so I would continue to follow those and if he/she has not made them clear be sure to follow up with a call to ensure you have the best recovery. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Tummy tuck post op care

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to consult with your operating surgeon first regarding any questions or concerns you may have related to your personal recovery.  That being said, we typically advise our patients to wear their compression garments for at least 6 weeks after surgery.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Compression after Tummy Tuck

We tell our patients to wear a compression binder for 4-6 weeks. This is something you should discuss with your surgeon as everyone has a specific post op routine. The longer you can wear it the better especially for the areas of liposuction because the swelling can take a long time to resolve.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Post liposuction garment

I typically recommend the use of a compression garment for 3 weeks full time and 3 weeks part-time (day or night depending on patient preference) totaling 6 weeks.  As a rule of thumb, more is better.  The longer you can tolerate the garment, the better. Good luck!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative Compression For 6 Weeks Following Tummy-tuck And Liposuction

Hello and thank-you for your question.

I would suggest contacting your treating surgeon for guidance in how long you should wear your garment.  I generally advise my patients to wear the garment for 6 weeks following a tummy-tuck and liposuction.  I advise my patients that once they stop wearing the garment, if there tummy is swollen or does not look as good that they should wear the garment at least part time for an additional two weeks.

I hope that this helps,

Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

This is a question best answered by your operating plastic surgeon.  He/she is ultimately responsible for the outcome of your surgery. In general, I have my patients wear the compression garment for 3-4 weeks and then transition into a Spanx for support.

Best wishes for a result you will be pleased with.

Compression garment

I usually have patients wear the compression garment for 3-6 weeks. I think it helps with swelling.  Some surgeons do not use them and some have patients wear them longer.

How Long to Wear the Compression Garment After a Tummy Tuck

You should check with your surgeon.I have my patients wear their compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks as it help control swelling. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Compression after a tummy tuck

You should definitely ask your surgeon about their compression protocol. Most surgeons have their patients wear some kind of compression for at least one month. This usually means that initially the patient wears an abdominal binder and after a week or two they can choose to switch to an elastic compression garment typically known as a second stage garment. There are many different types of these out there. They are quite comfortable and can easily be hidden under clothing. Good luck!