Are ingrown hairs an issue after a tummy tuck?

My question is about the incision line of a tummy tuck. In the area where it impacts the pubic region is there any issue with the hairs becoming ingrown into the suture area?

Tummy tuck ingrown hair.

Thank you  for this interesting question.  The short answer is yes it is possible, but I have never yet had a patient complain about it.  In my own tummy tucks I am usually cutting through the pubic region. A tummy tuck is what I call a pull me pull me operation.  We pull the upper abdominal skin down, but the pubic skin is also pulled up, which in my mind is a win /win for the patients.  To keep the pubis from becoming too high and keep the scar as low as possible I will often excise the upper hair bearing skin.

While ingrown hairs could be a problem, Hair will usually grow through the scar.  I suppose if ingrown hair were a problem electrolysis or laser hair removal could solve it.

Hope this helps.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Ingrown hairs an issue after a tummy tuck

yes, it may happen because pubic area is a hair bearing area . After incision closing and wound healing some of hair follicles may grow inside of scar and may cause pimples , pustules.. İt is better to have an exam to your doc. if it is so , you may need of a small revision surgery .

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Greetings

Thank you for your question It will take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though the lower incision line of a tummy tuck often runs through the hair-bearing region of the pubic region it rarely, if ever, results in persistent ingrown hairs along the suture area.  Hope this helps.

Potential Ingrown Hairs in Incision

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. As far as ingrown hairs it is likely specific to your own surgical area and the amount of hair you have personally. If there is plenty of hair there is always a chance, but if not then it is not so likely. If you have specific questions it would be good to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Ingrown hair after tummy tuck

It is typically not a problem.  If an incision implodes (heals inwards) due to poor closure or delayed wound healing, it can be an issue.  In that instance, scar revision and/or laser hair removal can fix things.  It is essentially a non-issue.

Ingrown hair concern after TT

Thank you for your question. I have not see this happen in my practice yet, but theoretically it is possible. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  Ingrown hairs are usually not a problem after surgery.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. Ingrown hairs are usually not an issue when an incision line goes through a hair bearing area. If it does become an issue, your surgeon will be able to assist you with it.