Is 70 years old too old for tummy tuck or lipo?

Is 70 years old too old for tummy tuck or lipo? #tummy tuck #age

Thank you for your question!  It's very interesting you asked this question.  It seems as though the population of those wanting aesthetic procedures is getting older and older.  Provided you are in good health and have been seen by your primary medical doctor, the chances of undergoing a tummy tuck and/or liposuction successfully are very high.  While the healing process my take more time, you can still benefit from the procedure and enjoy your new shape.  I just recently performed a Brazilian Butt Lift on a 68 and 67 year old woman!!  They did great and look great.  They have a zest for life and want to continue with an active lifestyle and continue the dating scene!  You just need to make sure your health is good and that you get a full work up including potentially an EKG, stress test, and whatever else your physician needs to determine your risk to undergo surgery.  I would say that you may be at an increased risk for blood clots that can be potentially life threatening, but there are methods to help prophylax against this from happening.  Please speak to your surgeon to inquire more about age and surgical procedures.  I hope this helps!!

Your health, not age

Your health is definitely a bigger factor to consider than your age when it comes to tummy tuck surgery. If you are generally healthy both physically and mentally, you’re a candidate regardless of your age. Discuss your medical history and condition during your consultation with your surgeon. You’ll also be asked to do bloodwork and other routine lab tests to ensure you’re a suitable candidate.

Age and Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

Age is considered when weighing risks of anesthesia and surgery but your overall health and physical condition are more important. A person of any age who has a serious medical condition could be at higher risk than a healthy 70 year old. A detailed medical history and exam are required to evaluate you for a tummy tuck or liposuction. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn about whether you are a good candidate for these operations.  

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Age limit

The health of a patient determines if a PS moves forward with the surgery. Age is obviously considered but it is not as relevant as Health. You should choose a plastic surgeon with lots experience who can do a Tummy tuck procedure in approximately 2 hours. Less time on the table reduces complications like blood clots and infections.

Is 70 year old too old for tummy tuck or lipo?

70 years old is not necessarily too old for a tummy tuck or liposuction, as long as one is in good health.  Check with your primary care physician.  They should be able to advise you as to whether or not you could consider the procedure. Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Is 70 years old too old for tummy tuck or lipo

If you are in reasonably good health and your expectations are appropriate, then your age is not a barrier to having a tummy tuck and liposuction.

Fred Suess, MD

Tummy Tuck at 70 years old

Hello and thank you for your questions. If you are in good health, then you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Please consult with a board-certified surgeon for a full evaluation. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Thank you for your question. Being 70 years old should not limit you from having a tummy tuck surgery. The most important factor is your overall health. If you are healthy, then you should be a candidate for surgery.

Is 70 too old

If your health is good, and you are a good candidate for the procedure, then being 70 years old is not prohibitive. You'll do just as well, and likely better than some of your younger cohorts. See attached web link for a 67 year old that had a TT and flew through it no problem. In fact, she came back to have her old silicone implants revised with a mastopexy. I hope this helps and thanks for sharing. 

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and the simple answer is that age is not the determinant of whether you are a candidate for surgery but health, weight and evaluation of the desired area for surgery.  So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and be evaluated

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD