What is the best bra to wear after breast implant surgery?

Okay I have no idea what bra to look for and invest in before I book a date. What kind, and what other things would be good to have on hand for afterwards. Someone told me arnica gel is good for bruising but I will be getting it under the breast so putting some kind of gel on top of an open wound seems like a not so good idea. I don't want to squash my boobs and possibly like jack up the position or w/e?

Types of Surgical Bras Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your questions.  They are many companies that make post surgical bras.  Your surgeon probably has a preference.  The bra is often provided and placed at the end of the procedure.  Discuss the type of post operative bra with your surgeon because there are many good post surgical bras available.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Post op instructions

Your breast augmentation surgeon will have specific guidelines for your post op recovery and I recommend following those thoroughly.  For my patients, I prefer the underarm incision for breast augmentation so their is no scar or stitches on the breast to heal and cause discomfort.  My patients are requested refrain from underwire for up to 6 weeks and can use silicone gel for their scars only after the incision is closed and healed up.  Additionally, no sun on the incision as it can cause it to darken.  Good luck and realize it is an investment in your body, follow your doctors instructions for best results.

Dr Scott Ennis - Plastic Surgeon – Destin and Miami , Fl

Post op instructions

It is important to follow the specific recommendations of your surgeon. That said a soft supportive but not constricting or tight bra without underwire is what I ask my patients to use.

Bra after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry, in my practice and many practice we provide you the first bra.  As you heal, bras will have different roles with each patient and we make individual recommendations.  Please discuss with your surgeon and best of luck.  

Bra after surgery

Post-op care

Each doctor has different preferences for post-op care. You should ask your surgeon and follow his instructions.

Post-op care

Bra type for Breast Augmentation and use of Arnica

Your surgeon will have his/her own specific post-op instructions regarding type of bra and when to wear it.  As for my practice, patients do not wear a bra until 6 weeks after their surgery.  Arnica can help with swelling, bruising and muscle aches.  Ideally, purchase the Arnica that is taken sub-lingual (under the tongue) which is easier to take and you would not be rubbing gel on your incision.  Good Luck.

A good bra after breast augmentation surgery

We place patients in a soft, sports bra that is easy to put on and off after surgery. Another option is a bra sold by Lu-lu Lemon -- The TA TA TAMER bra. It gives great, soft, support.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Post op bra after breast augmenation

Thank you for your inquiry, your plastic surgeon should be able to suggest or provide you with the post op surgical bra for after your surgery, I usually suggest my patients wearing their surgical bra that is purchased at the clinic and after 3 weeks of surgery I recommend sports bra, there the playtex cross your heart sports bra that is comfortable. Just avoid using a regular bra, suggest only using  sports bras for the first months. Best of luck!

Post op bra after breast augmenation

Breast Augmentation post-operative bra

Thank you for your question. Your board-certified plastic surgeon's office is your very best resource for answering this question. Each plastic surgeon has specific recommendations for post-operative garments and will guide you in acquiring the very best garment for your own optimal recovery results and needs. 

Breast Augmentation post-operative bra

Type of bra to wear post surgery

Thank you for your question! This is a question comes up often. My best suggestion to you is to defer to your plastic surgeon to their preference. Some surgeon's may have a surgical bra in place when you wake up, while others may have you come in the next day to be fitted for a bra and then there are others that may want the patient to purchase a soft cotton bra or sports type bra themselves based on what the surgeon recommendations.

Congratulations on your upcoming procedure!

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Type of bra to wear post surgery

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS