Is micro needling effective in minimizing sun damage/age spots? (Photo)

I am in my late 50s and have significant sun damage/age spots on my face. Would micro needling be an effective treatment to minimize these? If not, treatment(s) should I consider?

Microneedling and Hyperpigmentation Spots

Thanks for your question!  You can benefit from microneedling in regards to lightening up your brown spots.  However, based on your photo, I would recommend performing BBL (broad band light) laser treatments.  This would help breakup that pigment faster and more efficiently.  I would also recommend starting some sort of daily skin care regimen to help with regulating pigment.  Best of luck to you!

Microneedling for Pigment

Microneedling may help with minor pigmentation irregularities; however you could be better suited for another treatment designed to lift pigment. IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), Excel V Laser and certain chemical peels are more geared towards lightening pigment. You also need to ensure your home care is both corrective and protective. Please seek out a Board Certified Dermatologist to get a consult and customized treatment plan.

Microneedling for Age and sun spots

microneedling in combination with kojic acid or hydroquinone will be effective
in reducing the age spots.  However I would recommend additional
treatments with a light-based device as well.  Depending on your skin
color and the provider, I would recommend IPL, Erbium YAG or other similar
treatment options.  You will likely need 1-2 light-based treatments with a
few microneedling treatments.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Microneedling For sun damage and reverse the signs of aging

Hello and thank you for your question. Absolutely microneedling / Collagen Induction Therapy would be an excellent treatment that addresses many issues for aging skin. I would recommend starting on a medical grade skin care line such as ZO Medical, and then a series of microneedling with PRP treatments. Hope this helps!

Microneedling for sun damage?

Thank you for asking about your sun damaged skin and microneedling.
  • Being in Florida, it's not surprising you have sun damage.
  • An exam is needed to be sure but your photo suggests that if you start with Obagi or other tretinoin/Retin A skin skin care for 3 months for sun damage and discoloration and then have microneedling 3 - 6 times, spaced 6 weeks apart, with skin care in the intervals with Vitamin C daily, tretinoin once a week you could get a dramatic improvement.
  • But for skin especially, nothing replaced the face-to-face examination.
  • See a plastic surgeon please for a full evaluation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Microneedling for Sunspots

Microneedling or collagen induction therapy is great at improving fine lines, texture and skin laxity.  It will not improve sunspots or pigmentation issues.  These are best improved with either laser or chemical peels.I hope this helps  

Microneedling Treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. Microneedling is a great treatment that has become one of my favorite to perform here at Refined Dermatology and everyone is loving the results. Looking at your picture and based on the concerns that you are voicing a better treatment for you would be Broad Band Light treatment. BBL for short, targets specifically the pigment that is on the surface of the skin (age spots) as well as over redness. Microneedling is an excellent treatment for a reduction in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, improved skin tone and texture and softer, younger-looking skin. There is no one single treatment that will give patients everything they are looking for, so I always say that it is a combination of different procedures that will make the skin look better over time. Hope this helps, Dr. S.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon