Would a rhinoplasty help my asymmetry?

I have a pretty large overbite. Im getting surgery to correct this. They are moving my lower jaw foward. So I don't think I could get a chin implant yet. Would I benefit from rhinoplasty before jaw surgery? Would this make a significant difference in my apperance?

Yes, You're a Good Rhinoplasty Candidate

Thanks for your question. The jaw surgery will help your facial proportions a great deal. If they are not moving the maxilla (the upper jaw), but only the lower jaw, then the nose will not be changed by the jaw surgery. However, in order to make an optimal assessment of nasal projection in relationship to your face, I would suggest doing the rhinoplasty after. I would talk to your jaw surgeon about the chin projection, which could also be addressed at the time of jaw surgery. Overall, I think you would be an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. The curved nasal profile is one of the more common indications that leads patients into rhinoplasty, and patient satisfaction is very high. Best of luck!

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty.

Dear Friend in Irvine:

The dental issue is somewhat apart from the decision to have the rhinoplasty. The order makes no difference. However, I would suggest that you have computer imaging so that the effect of the jaw surgery could be factored in as determining what your ideal profile would be. Based on the photos that you submitted, you would be quite happy with a well-done rhinoplasty. Your other facial features are good. The typical need for someone like you centers around removing the bump and giving you a better profile. Consult well. Computer imaging is essential. Also essential is looking at the surgeon’s website for all of the before and after photos and a comparison of the results of the computer imaging and the final end result of the surgery itself. Read reviews and testimonials very carefully because they give you the flavor of the practice. You want to do it right the first time.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty and jaw surgery

I have seen this combination often.  You should definitely have your jay surgery done first.  After your jaws are ripely aligned, it will be easier to plan for the rhinoplasty.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty

You should get the jaw surgery first and when fully healed get a consultation from an expert in rhinoplasty. 
In good hands, you will see dramatic improvement in your looks

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

Best to have the jaw surgery first, wait a few months and then undergo the rhinoplasty  procedure.  A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish reducing the dorsal hump, addressing any asymetry decreasing the projection of the nose and lifting the tip. For many examples, see the link below

Rhino after jaw surgery

You would definitely benefit from rhinoplasty. However, I would recommend you wait until your jaw surgery is done before you seek advice from a rhinoplasty doctor.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Balance Profile with Chin and Rhinoplasty

Dear amartinez94993, It is best to have the genioplasty (jaw surgery) first and see what the corrections you receive are. Often times you may still need to have a small chin implant done after genioplasty and this would be done in conjunction with your rhinoplasty to help add balance to your profile. Genioplasty alone will not make a major change in your appearance as rhinoplasty surgery will. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Jaw surgery and Rhinoplasty

In my opinion you will be better off delaying rhinoplasty until after your jaw surgery is complete. Until your jaw is repositioned, I'm afraid that you will still feel that your new nose is large even though with a proper jaw relationship it would look properly proportioned.  Second, after your jaw surgery is complete, your rhinoplasty surgeon will be better able to match your nose to your jaw and IF necessary add a chin implant of fat grafts to "touch up" the shape of your newly repositioned jaw.
Good luck with your surgeries and enjoy the results.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty or jaw surgery first?

Most patients would do the jaw surgery first but it really makes no difference which comes first. Do the one that bothers you the most first and the other after. See a surgeon who does los is that you like based on his actual work and not imaging.