Why my ears are so stiff and sticking out after after facelift?

5 weeks after facelift my ears look bigger, sticking out and I feel as the are not part of my head. I move I feel them and they are not flexible as used to be. They feel as I have two wooden ears attached to my head. My doctor says I can't sleep on them yet and it will takes 18 months to fully recover? What is wrong?

Post op facelift

What you are going through is a normal part of recovery after a facelift.  There are incisions around the ear so you are still healing in that area.  Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Painful ears post facelift is normal

What you are experiencing sounds completely normal. The discomfort in your ears is due to the fact that your face is still healing and swollen. In all honestly, it should begin to improve over the next couple of weeks, but yes, it can take up to a year for all to fully resolve and for you to see your final results. Be patient and kind to yourself as your body continues to heal.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Ear problems after facelift

Having issues with your ears after a facelift is not unusual and these issues should resolve over time, usually in the first several months, but things can take up to year to completely normalize.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear stiff and swollen after face lift

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

What you are feeling is the result of surgical swelling and healing. There is nothing wrong - this is just the nature of your surgery. Your surgeon is right that it can take 18 months for the swelling to fully subside and feeling to return.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Ears tender and stiff

Ear tenderness can occur following facelift but will usually subside after one to three months. I recommend that you post a photo if you are concerned about the shape and size of them.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Thank you for your question.  Your concerns are very common during the first 3-4 weeks after facelift surgery.  Keeping her head elevated to encourage swelling to decrease and warm soaks can be helpful.  This is very common I expect that he will improve significantly over the next few weeks.  Be sure to follow closely for exams by her plastic surgeon.

Stiff ears

Thank you for the question and I would imagine your incisions are probably around the ears and consequently it makes them feel strange.  This will resolve but express your concerns to your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Facelift

Thank you for your question. It is typical for patients to sleep with your head elevated for two weeks after the procedure, but you should follow your surgeon's recommendation. You are in the very early stages of the recovery and should not judge your results for months. I suggest that you continue to follow the recovery instructions provided by your board certified facial plastic surgeon. Remain patient and rest assured that your experience is not atypical.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sounds ok

Hi

Without pictures or an exam its hard to be 100% but.....This sounds very normal. The incision behind the ear often leads to temporary numbness. This makes the ears feels larger and stiff! The edema behind the ears can also make them stick out. I don't think it will take 18 months but you should see real improvement over the next 4-6 months for sure. Continue with your follow up and rest assured that likely will return to normal!

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon