Is it common to give Facelift patient some narcotic/sleeping pill again when they have already woken up and surgery is over?

I was under anestesia 8.30-14.30. After I had been awake couple of hours(?) someone gave me some pill and I fell asleep again and woke up in the evening in the recovery suite. Many scary unanswered questions on my procedure. Weirdest is loss of most of nipple sensation... Why would they put me sleep again. They said I had less bruising than most patients and needed less help. The nightnurse was trying to make me eat sleeping pills many times and seemed annoyed when I did not want to.

Medications After Facelift

The best answers will be obtained from your Surgeon and the Nursing staff who looked after you.  Generally speaking, it is preferable to be relaxed after your surgery, but not obtunded.  Anxiety and excessive activity can lead to elevated blood pressure and hematoma formation, which complicates your recovery. Most Surgeons prefer their patients to be in a circumstance where chances of problems are minimized. 

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op sleeping medication

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling distrustful of your care. Sleeping medication is often prescribed for patients during recovery from a facelift. The only people who can answer your questions are the surgeon and nurses who performed your surgery.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Meds after Surgery

Thank you for your question.  I'm not sure as I was not there so hard for me to give you an exact answer.   I can say that at times pain meds and sleeping pills can be given to make it easier for you to rest and sleep. If you are truly concerned you may want to ask your nurse and/or doctor.  I'm sure they have a good explanation.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Medication after a face lift

Thank you for asking about your face lift recovery.

• Only the nurses and doctors looking after you can explain why you were medicated so much -
  • Most of my patients need fairly little medication as long as the bandage is comfortable.
  • However I am concerned that you have lost feeling in your nipples. This would be hard to explain - please ask your surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift recovery

narcoticsand sleeping pills can help the first few days following your facelift procedure. Some patients are very confused after waking up from anesthesia and I am sure that your care providers only wanted for you to be as comfortable as possible during the post operative period. 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Meds after surgery

It is unclear, but many times pain meds and sleeping pills can be given to make it easier for you to rest and sleep. Best to ask your nurse and/or doctor.

Medication after surgery

Narcotic medication is commonly used after surgery to fend off pain.  Pain doesnt disappear but is reduced.  Some people fall asleep when given a narcotic and some do not.   The same can be said of sleeping pills.   It is fine to take sleeping pills if you need them.   Some people fall asleep with sleeping medication and some do not.   It sounds like your care was fairly normal.   Discuss this with your doctor.    My  Best,  Dr Commons