I'm researching BBL. I'm out of state, how long do I need to stay? Also, is there a recommended diet to lose weight?

I'm researching BBL. When out of state, can my husband stay in a recovery house/facility w/me? Do I need to stay until I receive PO massages, can any follow be facilitated near home? As swelling goes down, do I need more compression garments? Also, is there a recommended diet to lose weight before procedure to keep BMI between 25-30?

The surgery itself is for 2-3 hours. You can go home after 5-7 days, as long as the doctor follows up with you after surgery. You cannot sit down applying direct pressure for about 2 weeks. 

Be very careful not to be tricked by gimmicks and do your research. Plan to have a responsible caregiver. If you are traveling by yourself then call ahead and get recommendations from your surgeons office about places to stay and reliable post operative caregivers that they have used before. It is also a good idea to inquire about purchasing cosmetic insurance that will cover complications that could occur within 30 days after surgery. Complications  that are associate with the cosmetic procedure are usually not covered by your regular health insurance

A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy. This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body.

When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts.  choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.

Out of State BBL

We usually recommend that patients stay in town for a week for the Brazilian Butt Lift. Recovery houses will vary from place to place. As far as your massages, you can start them the day after your procedure. There is a possibility you may need a change in garment size or you can have your garment altered. As far as diet try to eat healthy, light exercise and just pay attention to your weight as you want to be in range for your surgery date.

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

I'm out of state, how long do I need to stay?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your concerns.

The recommendation for weight loss is for the calculation of your BMI to be less than 30. The period of time that you should stay in the country you're visiting must be 12 to 14 days.

Hope to hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Do you need to lose weight?

Ideal candidates are at a stable weight,  in good health , and have excess fat in some parts of the body and too little in other regions.  Gaining weight before the procedure is to no advantage and when you lose weight again the fat cells will shrink just like the donor site fat cells.  Typically, the transferred fat results in a significant increase in volume of the body site being treated.

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.  See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a BBL Always insist on a board certified plastic surgeon.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided infromation as well.. it is recommended to lose weight when you're more than 33 in bmi, and also, if you will travel for your procedure it will be better to stay 12 to 14 days near your surgeon.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Every surgeon will have different ideas about length of stay, need for massages, and BMI.  I would recommend that you select your surgeon and then email or call to get these questions answered.

BBL

It is advisable to try and find a reputable board certified plastic surgeon in your area so you can continue to be under the care of the surgeon who operated on you. If you do decide to travel out state then I would plan to stay for a minimum of 2-3 weeks after your surgery for post-operative check-ups and to prevent any damage to the surviving fat by sitting on a long flight but it is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols, and to come up with an appropriate aftercare plan for you once you go back home. I recommend that my patients do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must go back fly before 3 weeks post op, I definitely do recommend the BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. In order to prepare for your surgery, I would make sure you have your housing accommodations arranged for your stay while you are there, if you have a sitter or need to bring someone with you to supervise you the first 24 hours and help assist you while you recover. Ask your doctor what supplements/medications you should stop taking before surgery, most important are anything with blood thinning agents in it and remain nicotine free for at least 30 days prior to surgery and after surgery. I would also find out if you have to order a compression garment or will they provide one for you.  I also recommend maintaining your weight for at least 6 months before surgery as weight fluctuations can affect your results, this is best done through a balanced diet and exercise regime. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BBL out of state

In most cases, you are better off doing it close to home. As for instructions for staying in town after surgery, you are best to ask your surgeon.  Best of luck.