I am on the Depo-Provera shot for birth control. If I am planning to get a BBL and Tummy Tuck do I have to stop getting them?

I received a quote from Dra. Duran and on the email it stated that I have to stop birthcontrol pills if I am taking them , so I don't know if that goes to the shot too?

BBL & TT

Yes, including depo shot. It is recommend to stop taking birth control around 4-6 weeks prior to surgery because of the slight increased risk of blood clots developing.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

There are risks that go along with taking birth control and the blood clot risk has to be evaluated by your surgeon.  You should always contact your surgeon about preoperative and postoperative instructions and concerns.  Surgery and the recovery period is a complex interaction of what was performed and how your body reacts.  There are not going to be easy answers to this online, because there is not enough known to make an intelligent recommendation.  I make myself available to my patients  by email and phone both before and after surgery for this very reason.

Stopping Depo-Provera before plastic surgery

Thanks for the question.  It is recommended that all birth control medications are stopped 4 weeks before elective plastic surgery due to the increased risk of blood clots (DVT) with their use at the time of surgery.