26 years old, male, diffuse hair loss. No hope to restore hair? HT is not possible ? (Photo)

Any possibility to restore my hair. Lost 90% densitu . Really stressful shedding hairs due to stress too.

Hair transplant no possible claims a man 26 years old

Scalp Micropigmentation is the best alternative for men who either are not candidates for hair transplants, can't afford one, or wants a good alternative. We have done many men with scalp micropigmentation and we have a satisfaction rate of over 99%. See web reference  below

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss

You have some diffuse thing in the front and mid scalp areas.  You can be helped by hair transplant . It is best to be examined form close up to get an evaluation and recommendation for surgical and medical treatment options. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Exam

A doctor usually needs to exam a patient, diagnose a problem (of WHY you are losing your hair), then needs to understand the goals and expectations of a patient before giving them options or treatment plan.  

If you don't have good donor hair, then surgery may not be an option. These are things you need to discuss with a doctor in person.

Scalp MicroPigmentation may also be an option but that is also something you need to discuss with your doctor in person.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Diffuse Thinning - Treatment

Your scalp needs to be examined microscopically and especial attention needs to be given to your back and sides where we call permanent zone.  Most people who have typical male patterned baldness never lose the hair on their back and sides.  If that is the case for you you can have a hair transplant successfully.

For men who has lower density of hair on the back facial hair transplant is a good option.  They usually can harvest and transplant at least 2000-3000 grafts from their beard area.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair restoration

Just based on the photo there is no reason to think that you are not a candidate for hair restoration procedures.  You are also a candidate for other medical options to restore your hair such as minoxidil and Finasteride.  You should visit with a hair restoration surgeon for an evaluation.  At that time you can get a better answer about your candidacy to have the procedure done.  Best regards.

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair shedding and hair transplantation

I understand that you are losing hair in a short period of time. This symptom is not consistent with male pattern alopecia. I would call this telogen effluvium if the hairs coming out have a small white bulb at the end. The cause of this needs to be determined, including nutritional status, thyroid or other hormonal studies just to name a few. Second medical treatment needs to be initiated and if there still is a bald sour, then that might be thickened with follicular unit extraction.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Diffuse hair loss can be addressed with better density than a hair transplant while stopping further loss, without surgery

When a patient with hair loss comes to my practice, I first ask the age of onset or how old they were when they started losing hair. I also ask how quickly this is progressing and if there are other male family members who have similar patterns or hair loss. Assuming that you have male pattern hair loss, you are experiencing is progressive miniaturizing of hair. Hair normally grows in a cycle and at the end of every cycle, it sheds. When the new hairs come in, they come back thinner. I would typically assess the top of your scalp with a microscope to identify the amount of hairs that are thinning relative to the amount of hairs that are still thick.

There are two medical options to treat hair loss. One is finasteride which is a drug that inhibits an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase that is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Hairs that are sensitive to dihydrotestosterone will progressively thin until they disappear. When someone has that type of hair loss takes finasteride, it slows that progression and can allow them to have thicker hair for a long period of time. Unfortunately, medical studies t has shown long-term sexual side effects of finasteride. In addition, literature does not provide enough information about all the factors that cause hair thinning because dihydrotestosterone is not the whole story. Many men will take finasteride and still progressively lose hair. The other drug is minoxidil which is applied topically and appears to keep hair around longer so that it appears that the scalp has more coverage, but it does not reverse hair thinning.

For a patient like you, we don’t go for the hair transplant first. This is a significant change in the paradigm of how to treat hair loss. The standard approach in the past is to do a hair transplant. However, the patient continuously loses hair after a transplant. Many patients will opt to do another hair transplant and another one every few years until they reach the end of the donor area. Unfortunately, there’s a mismatch between the amount of hair that you have in donor and the amount of scalp you need covered. Eventually, people will have plugs on their scalp which is an obvious hair transplant.

In our practice, we have developed a non-surgical treatment called Hair Regeneration. A material for wound healing called extracellular matrix that is used to help regenerate tissue and skin by recruiting the adult stem cells to make this wound-healing mechanism. When this material is injected in a formulation combined with platelet-rich plasma (PRP), it is remarkable in how effectively it can reverse hair thinning. We have hundreds of patients who come from all over the world and every week, we see more and more patients for this treatment as we continue to prove its benefit. It appears to have a minimum 3 years of benefit and maximum of 5 years. The younger the patient is and the more coarse the hair is, it appears that they get remarkably more volume and correction, which has a lot to do with early intervention. So when someone notices hair loss, the earlier they come, the better it is. I would actually say that in most patients who have existing hair, it far exceeds the benefits of any hair transplants. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Shedding hair. Treatment

You should be evaluated by a knowledgeable physician who can diagnose your shedding. It is unusual to have rapid hair shedding in androgenic alopecia. A hair pull test and a scalp biopsy are usefull to determine etiology.
Without a firm diagnosis, treatment should be postponed. 

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

26 years old, male, diffuse hair loss. No hope to restore hair? HT is not possible ?

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing the back of your head.  From the picture, it looks like you have only lost hair in the front and most of the back hair is intact.  That would make you a good candidate for Neo Graft to improve the density in the front.  However, you must make sure that it is in fact male pattern baldness and not due to stress or other underlying pathology.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon