I have a fatty bumps or lumps in my head. Is this lumpy looking area where the hair was transplanted normal? (photo)

I got a FUE hair transplant about 20 days ago and I am past the scab phase and most of the hairs have fallen out due to change in hair state. My question is if you look at my head it still has some what appears to be fatty bumps or lumps in my head. I have been putting rogaine in my head now 4 days post op as per doctors instructions so that is why my head is really shiny at time of pic. Is this lumpy looking area where the hair was transplanted normal?

Fatty bumps post FUE Hair Restoration

Fatty lumps following a transplant probably represent elevation of your skin from the excess tissue that remained on the grafts prior to implantation. Many physicians prefer to leave more tissue around the grafts prior to implanting them into the recipient sites located in the bald or thinning areas of your scalp. This excess tissue is unnecessary, but it makes many physicians just “feel better” when they leave it on. The excess tissue is unnecessary volume that causes the scalp to elevate where the grafts are placed.

This is avoidable in almost 100% of patients by simply removing unnecessary tissue that surrounds the grafts. Excess tissue is far less common with a minimal depth follicular unit extraction harvest than with a strip harvest. If the excess tissue is left on the grafts, elevation often occurs. This is called “ridging”. There are two ways to treat ridging. One way is to inject the elevated area with a low dose of corticosteroids (10 mg / cc of triamcinalone) is a good start. The corticosteriods will often cause atrophy of the underlying adipose. This reduces tissue volume and often allows the scalp to flatten. If this low dose of corticosteroids does not work, one might consider a slightly higher dosage of corticosteroids. Another way to treat ridging is to excise the individual grafts that were previously transplanted. This reduces tissue volume and allows the skin to flatten.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Bumps after FUE Hair Transplant

I would recommend a followup with your doctor as this is not normal.  You should stop using rogaine as sometimes patients can have an allergic reaction and anything else that you are applying to your scalp. Washing the area gently with baby shampoo can help as well.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

20 days post op and still have problems

Anytime you have a problem, you should see your doctor who knows what he did and how to interpret what the complaints and problems are. This sounds like a problem to me, but without examining you I can not tell

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

This could be as a result of poor incisions and poor placing of the grafts.  You need to see your doctor for a follow up. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Maybe

It may be normal, it may not be normal. Photos can't always give you a diagnosis.  It doesn't look normal from what I usually see.  You need to follow up with your doctor for a recheck.  Internet may give you some idea but it may also misguide you and delay your treatment (it you need it).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Bumps After Hair Transplant

You need to be seen and examined by your doctor.  It looks like you have more than normal inflammation that we expect to see 20 days after a hair transplant.  A variety of causes might be involved including allergic reaction to Rogaine.  You might need to stop using Rogaine and replace it with some other hair loss mediation to minimize the risk of shock loss after a hair transplant.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Bumps

This can be normal and also varies by FUE vs FUT procedures.  It would  not hurt to go in for a follow up and close up exam by the doctor who did the procedure. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist