Best treatment for pigmentation melasma and open pores? (photos)

What's the best treatment option for rough skin texture melasma pigmentation and open pores

Creams and low intensity lasers

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Clear and Brilliant can also improve melasma. The use of erbium laser with HALO can improve melasma, but you will need to be on HQ as rebound can occur (as with all lasers). The non-ablative aspect of HALO can reduce pore sizing, however IMO Picosecond lasers are safer, especially in your skin type. 

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Halo laser skin resurfacing will be a good fit

Thanks for your question.  Halo laser resurfacing is safe to use for melisma, even in dark skin and improves pore sizes.

Thanks,

Dr. Kevin Belasco

Kevin T. Belasco, DO
Newport Beach Dermatologist