Any way to lighten dark lips?

I have melasma (I'm assuming) on my top lip and corners of my mouth. Is there any way to lighten or even get rid of it? Would lip injections just make it more visible?

Melasma expert in Santa Monica

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Melasma needs long term commitment with skin care and avoidance of skin factors such as sun exposure (Spectrase Sun Block) which has wide UV spectrum and SPF 30+ protection. 

Daily good habits with topicals may well help you chieve your goals with a good skin system like the Brightening Kit from KareSkin (see link). You may want to start with Melarase and Pigmentation Correction Complex. Scler-X from another vendor is for PIH relief (see link). 

Melarase AM is non hydroquinone based. 

Clear + Brilliant laser can be added once you start your pretreatment with topicals. 

Dr Raffy in santa Monica is a melasma expert. 

Best

H Karamanoukian MD FACS

Melasma

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Dark lips and Melarase PM

For dark lips, we recommend Melarase PM twice daily + Q switch laser to lighten the pigmentation. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS