I have melasma (after pregnancy) Wondering if Tri-Luma is a good product to use to treat it? (photo)

I developed melasma after pregnancy and 3 days ago I went for an IPL treatment. After reading how IPL isn't supposed to be used to treat melasma; I am now wondering if Tri-Luma is a better option that will actually treat my melasma? What other name brand creams should I ask about when going to the dermatologist? I also just started (about a month ago) to use Trentinon .1% cream twice a week and seen great results.

Combination treatments are best for melasma.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Melasma and Tri-luma

Melasma is best treated with a combination of treatments such as bleaching creams, chemical peels, and Cosmelan.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Melasma Treatment

Triluma is an effective topical cream when pigment is superficial and, also, when inflammation is a component of the melasma but cannot be used while breastfeeding. It is a prescription cream so please see your dermatologist. Sun protection is extremely important. In addition to SPF 30 with zinc or titanium ingredients daily each morning, I recommend over the counter Heliocare. Heliocare is a supplement taken by mouth daily that contains antioxidants and provides additional protection and benefit in melasma.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Treating melasma after pregnancy

There are many good treatment options for melasma. Most critical is diligent & lifelong sun avoidance and protection. Triluma is an effective treatment option and certainly better than IPL for most people. Retin-A as you've used (and a component of Triluma is a great idea). Your dermatologist can get you on the right program for your melasma.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma

Hi there and thank you for your question. Melasma is notoriously difficult to treat and no one treatment is completely effective for every patient. With that said, IPL would not be my first-line treatment for melasma, especially in someone with darker skin such as yourself. Tri-Luma or any product with prescription strength hydroquinone and tretinoin would be a safe place to start and maintain, in addition to aggressive sun protection. As stated above, microneedling and clear + brilliant can be excellent adjuncts to topical therapy.

Sophia V. Mai, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Melasma after Pregnancy --- Clear + Brilliant, Venus Viva/Intensif, Chemical Peels, Microneedling PRP

There is no "cure" for melasma but there are great treatments. We are doing a clinical trial now on clear + brilliant with bleaching and microneedling and getting amazing results. I suggest you see an expert. You will need lifelong treatment, sun protection, skin care. But these treatments can give you improvement and then you maintain. Best , Dr. Emer.