How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost?

I am now 63 and am beginning to realize that no other woman my age has such full and perky breasts as I do. I am beginning to feel self-conscious and expect that as I grow older, this will become more of a problem for me. I want to know if breast explantation is an option, what could be done to ensure my breasts would become much smaller and how much this would cost.

Cost of Breast Implant Removal

The cost of breast implant removal will depend upon the type of procedure used. If you have a relatively new implant (less than 5 years), have no contracture, no rupture, deflation, calcification,or breast pain, you can just have the implants removed without removing the capsules. You will need a breast ultrasound or breast MRI to determine the integrity of these implants before deciding on what procedure is best for you. Implant removal without removal of the capsules costs about $1500 for the professional fee plus facility fee. If you need the capsules removed in addition to the implants, it will cost more, about three to four thousand, for the professional fee plus facility and anesthesia fees. These fees, of course, will depend upon the geographical area. I hope this is helpful.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal is quick and easy.

Removing a breast implant is quick and easy, less than 30 minutes for both sides.  The old incision is used for the removal and it can be done through a very small incision.  The  capsule does not have to be removed and shrinks down to almost nothing in about 1 to 2 months.  The body is very resilient and the remaining capsule which does not have to be removed will shrink to nothing.

Similar to the uterus after delivering a baby.  Cost ranges from $500 to $1500  depending on how it is done. i.e. local or general anesthesia.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

Breast explantation cost

Many women with breast implants choose explantation at some point in their lives.   Usually the biggest concern/fear is about postoperative appearance, especially if no other procedures (such as breast lift) are performed simultaneously.   My experience with women for whom I have performed explantation is that that are ALMOST ALWAYS more satisfied with their post-explantation appearance than they THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE!  It is an exception for a woman to ask for re-augmentation at a later date!  Many factors will affect appearance after explantation (e.g., how big the implants are compared with the original size of the breast, child bearing after augmentation) and the ease of removal (e.g., saline vs silicone, ruptured, capsular thickening/calcification).  In a best case scenario of non-encapsulated saline implants, removal can be performed easily under STRAIGHT LOCAL (or, of course, with oral or even iv sedation) in less than 30 minutes and should rarely require oral analgesics after the procedure.  Cost can range from $2000 to over $5000, not including other procedures such as breast lift.

Insurance will cover explantation

I'm a bit suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you're looking for just explantation most medical insurance covers this, meaning that the cost to you would be your co-pay. I would definitely look into this option first.

But keep in mind that insurance companies will NOT cover things like replacing implants, performing a breast lift or other cosmetic procedures. Some people can be disappointed with the look of their breasts after explantation without additional procedures.

In my San Francisco practice we make sure that if a procedure can be covered by insurance that option is presented.

Steven Williams, MD

Removing breast implants

There are many reasons for removing breast implants; stretched skin, too big, wrinkling, rippling, pain and displacement of the implants.  If the implants are removed only and no other ancillary procedure performed (breast implant exchange, breast lift, liposuction, fat grafting) the cost will be around $2,000-3,000.  This is a simple, basically painless outpatient procedure.  Some women even elect to deflate their saline implants and leave the bags in place, so NO SUGERY is necessary, just an office visit.  That would run around $500.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant removal

Implant explantation can easily be done as an outpatient.  The surgeons fee wil depend on the geographic location, and the certification of the surgeon.  Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for consultation.  He will determine your need based on the type of implants you have, and if he will be removing the scar tissue.  If possible, bring a copy of your operative report from your past surgery to your consultation.  This always helps.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast implant removal costs

Average prices in Cincinnati for breast implant removal are $1000-$7000. Most implants can be removed in office under local anesthesia for minimal cost. If the entire capsule needs removed, the costs will be greater due to hospital and anesthesia.

There are financial, intellectual and emotional costs for explantation

Explantation can be safely and economically conducted under local anesthesia, providing the implants are saline, capsular contracture isn't significant and the breasts are not droopy.  If there is excessive scar tissue or the nipple position isn't ideal, the solutions for surgically improving the ultimate breast shape usually involve capsulectomy (removing the scar tissue) and mastopexy (breast lift).  As the complexity of the surgical solution increases, so does the surgical cost.  If a patient is motivated to take a "wait and see" approach, simple explantation followed by compression may obviate a mastopexy.  Do take a "cooling off" period to ensure that you sufficiently comprehend the full alteration of body image, so you don't buy in haste and repent at leisure. Surgical packages will vary by locale.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Cost Range in Midwest, U.S. for Implant Removal: $2500-3500 (When Combines with Lift: $6000-$7500)

Breast augmentation patients occasionally request removal of their breast implants for a variety of medical, surgical and aesthetic reasons.  When this procedure is performed it’s not unusual for patients to undergo simultaneous breast lift surgery to address associated breast sag.

Prices vary widely and depend on several variables.  It’s important to make sure the fee quote includes the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and the pre and post-operative care. Each of these components may vary widely depending upon the surgeon’s practice.

Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery centers are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospitals.  The surgeon’s fee can vary depending on regional differences and levels of local competition.  Anesthesia fees can vary and this may be related to the use of a nurse anesthetist versus a physician anesthesiologist. 

When all of these variables are considered fees in the mid-western United States for explantation of breast implants ranges between $2500 and $3500.  When combined with breast lift surgery the fee varies between $6000 and $7500.  It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision it’s not the only consideration.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified and has the appropriate qualification and experience.   

Breast Implant Explantation Costs

Great question.

It is not uncommon for some woman to feel as you do, and should understand that there are options for you. First of all, if you do have implants in place, removing them will make your breast appear smaller.

If your are searching for a more natural and smaller appearance, it’s easiest to make sure you understand what the OVERALL cost of the procedure is, and what precisely it includes in terms of cost and expertise in your geographical region. Oftentimes, insurance will cover the procedure and if this is not the case for you, our fee is $2,000 - $3,500 depending on your needs. It should absolutely be all-inclusive, and the most influential factors include,

• Is this an actual Plastic Surgeon performing the operation?
  • Is the plastic surgeon Fellowship Trained specifically in aesthetic plastic surgery?
  • Does the surgeon hold privileges at a local hospital, as a Plastic Surgeon?
  • Where will the surgery be performed? Hospital or certified outpatient surgery center?
  • What type of anesthesia will be used? General versus local anesthesia?

Choose your surgeon based NOT only on price, but whether you feel he would truly walk you thru the process and can achieve your aesthetic goals. Also, it is not unreasonable to ask to speak to prior patients, visit the surgical facility, and see before and after photos.

You should also keep in mind that your choice of plastic surgery practice and surgeon is important. Be sure you love the staff, the overall feel of the office and are well taken care of.