How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost?

I am now 63 and am beginning to realize that no other woman my age has such full and perky breasts as I do. I am beginning to feel self-conscious and expect that as I grow older, this will become more of a problem for me. I want to know if breast explantation is an option, what could be done to ensure my breasts would become much smaller and how much this would cost.

Insurance will cover explantation

I'm a bit suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you're looking for just explantation most medical insurance covers this, meaning that the cost to you would be your co-pay. I would definitely look into this option first.

But keep in mind that insurance companies will NOT cover things like replacing implants, performing a breast lift or other cosmetic procedures. Some people can be disappointed with the look of their breasts after explantation without additional procedures.

In my San Francisco practice we make sure that if a procedure can be covered by insurance that option is presented.

Steven Williams, MD

Removing breast implants

There are many reasons for removing breast implants; stretched skin, too big, wrinkling, rippling, pain and displacement of the implants.  If the implants are removed only and no other ancillary procedure performed (breast implant exchange, breast lift, liposuction, fat grafting) the cost will be around $2,000-3,000.  This is a simple, basically painless outpatient procedure.  Some women even elect to deflate their saline implants and leave the bags in place, so NO SUGERY is necessary, just an office visit.  That would run around $500.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast explantation cost

Many women with breast implants choose explantation at some point in their lives.   Usually the biggest concern/fear is about postoperative appearance, especially if no other procedures (such as breast lift) are performed simultaneously.   My experience with women for whom I have performed explantation is that that are ALMOST ALWAYS more satisfied with their post-explantation appearance than they THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE!  It is an exception for a woman to ask for re-augmentation at a later date!  Many factors will affect appearance after explantation (e.g., how big the implants are compared with the original size of the breast, child bearing after augmentation) and the ease of removal (e.g., saline vs silicone, ruptured, capsular thickening/calcification).  In a best case scenario of non-encapsulated saline implants, removal can be performed easily under STRAIGHT LOCAL (or, of course, with oral or even iv sedation) in less than 30 minutes and should rarely require oral analgesics after the procedure.  Cost can range from $2000 to over $5000, not including other procedures such as breast lift.

Removal of breast implants

Explantation of breast implants can be either a cosmetic procedure, a medically necessary procedure, or some combination of those. If your breast implants have ruptured or caused high-grade capsular contracture, your insurance company may partially cover a portion of your fees. If you would like your implants removed for cosmetic reasons, the price of the procedure will depend on the expertise of the surgeon and your geographic location. Also consider that sometimes removing breast implants leaves excess loose skin or drooping breasts, which can require a breast lift type of procedure. Discuss these issues with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

Cost Range in Midwest, U.S. for Implant Removal: $2500-3500 (When Combines with Lift: $6000-$7500)

Breast augmentation patients occasionally request removal of their breast implants for a variety of medical, surgical and aesthetic reasons.  When this procedure is performed it’s not unusual for patients to undergo simultaneous breast lift surgery to address associated breast sag.

Prices vary widely and depend on several variables.  It’s important to make sure the fee quote includes the surgeon’s fee, facility fee, anesthesia charges and the pre and post-operative care. Each of these components may vary widely depending upon the surgeon’s practice.

Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery centers are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospitals.  The surgeon’s fee can vary depending on regional differences and levels of local competition.  Anesthesia fees can vary and this may be related to the use of a nurse anesthetist versus a physician anesthesiologist. 

When all of these variables are considered fees in the mid-western United States for explantation of breast implants ranges between $2500 and $3500.  When combined with breast lift surgery the fee varies between $6000 and $7500.  It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision it’s not the only consideration.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon is board certified and has the appropriate qualification and experience.   

Breast Implant removal

Implant explantation can easily be done as an outpatient.  The surgeons fee wil depend on the geographic location, and the certification of the surgeon.  Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for consultation.  He will determine your need based on the type of implants you have, and if he will be removing the scar tissue.  If possible, bring a copy of your operative report from your past surgery to your consultation.  This always helps.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Augmentation Costs

Breast augmentation is often performed to replace volume lost from weight loss, breast-feeding, or age or to increase the size of the breast for aesthetic reasons.

The cost is variable and is based on what is done, the type of implant, and geographic variability. An estimate of the costs for a breast augmentation surgery in the Camino Island, WA area can be found below. Quoted fees may or may not include facility, anesthesia, and implant costs.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option and provide you a custom quote for your situation. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

How Much Does Breast Explantation Cost

Thank you for submitting your question.  The price of a procedure will vary from city to city.  Breast implant removal in the Dallas area ranges from $3,500-$5,000.  Insurance may cover removal if their is a complication of the implant such as a rupture or contracture.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Wide range of possible costs for implant removal

The cost of an implant removal surgery depends on the specifics of that procedure and can only be determined by an in-person consult.  The simplest removal procedure is often removal of a saline implant without any additional reshaping of the breast.  This can often be a fairly short surgery and at has a lower cost.  Silicone implants, particularly if they are older implants or ruptured, can be more complicated requiring a longer surgery and greater expense.  Finally, a breast lift is often an excellent way to restore the breast to a smaller size while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing shape.  This is a much more complicated procedure and is more expensive, though worth it as it is very likely to restore the breast contour that you would be most comfortable wtih.

Varies based on the specific procedure involved

The cost of breast implant removal carries based on whether the scar needs to be removed with the implants.  You will need to be evaluated for a specific procedure in order to get an idea of the cost.  Depending on the procedure, it can vary from $4000 to $8000.