Will Breasts Sag if I Decide to Explant?

What if you decided to explant? Will your breasts sag?

Implants Away

Most of our patients who decide to have their breast implants removed do so because they are having problems or have decided that implants are simply not for them. This is rare. With some education about the possible results we find that our patients are happy with the implants out and the breast appearance. They want to go back to natural so any sag is accepted by the patients. It is not up to plastic surgeons to tell anyone that they need to have breast implants.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

Often when removing implants the breasts will return back to their initial shape. They may look more droopy  depending on how long you have had them and whether or not you have lost weight or had children. They may look a little wrinkled for a couple months but then they slowly will regain their natural shape.

David E. Kim, MD

Will breasts sag if implants removed?

The answer to this question varies greatly. But, in an effort to keep things simple, here it goes.

Breasts usually return to their original state before implantation except with one or more of  the following:

• Implants in place for a long time (>1yr)
  • Large size of implants
  • Advanced age
  • Implants are sub glandular (not behind muscle)

I hope this helps you and others in similar situations. If you do decide to remove implants ( and they are behind the muscle) and you are unhappy with their shape, allow me to make a suggestion.

I have developed a procedure that allows me to lift and slightly augment breasts without the use of implants. It's called the "Ultimate Lift". When breasts are deflated because of age, wt loss,  pregnancy, etc. I use the remaining breast tissue and make an internal cone that simulates an implant. Then, I use the excess skin to make 'internal bra straps' that are then looped around the muscles on your chest to provide a long lasting lift. Added benefit-no vertical scars.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Sagging After Implants Removed

After breast implants are removed, the breast loses support. The amount lost is proportionate to the volume lost. The larger the implant, the larger the volume loss and the more sagging expected.

How much sagging you will experience depends on three factors: the volume of the breast implant, the volume of your natural breast tissue and the tightness of your skin. The smaller the breast implant, the greater the natural breast volume and the tighter the skin, the less sagging that will occur.

Deflating the implant is a quick way to see what it will look like before surgery. For patients on the borderline, the implants can be deflated as a way to preview the results of implant removal. Deflation can be done in the office with a needle, but is not reversible. This should only be done if the implants are going to be removed anyway. Alternatively the implants can be removed in the operating room, the breasts allowed to heal, and then the determination made if a breast lift is necessary. This means two operations.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

Many women are afraid to have implants removed because they fear their breasts will sag afterwards.  In my experience, most women who have their implants removed notice their breasts look pretty much like they did before receiving the implants.  If it has been many years since receiving the implants, or if there has been significant weight gain, there may be sagging of the breasts after implant removal.Otherwise, the removal of the implants usually does not result in much sagging.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implant removal

A breast implant and the breast tissue both combine to give the overall volume of your breast. Depending upon the proportions of each ( i.e. 50% breast 50% implant etc.), the loss of the implant may have little to a huge effect on the breast volume once removed. The breast is like a bucket handle. It hinges upwards with more volume and sinks flat when deflated. The nipple may not change position or it might significantly. The volume may not change much or it may change significantly. This is something that can be predicted with a consultation.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Sagging may occur

Sagging will occur based on the following:

- the size of the implants relative to your normal breast size
- if you have lost weight
- if you had children
- amount of breast tissue you have
- skin elasticity
- and aging

You may want to consider breast lift (mastopexy) if breast do turnout saggy after removal of implants. Please consult your plastic surgeon.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Explant sagging.

Hello. Depending on what you started with, how large you went implant size and how long you have had the implants. The larger the implant, may result in stretched out skin that may need excision. I would recommend you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast surgery for best results. Good luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast Implant Removal

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to your surgeon and get good advice.

Sagging after implant removal

The extent of sagging will depend on how much breast tissue you have, how big the implants are, how much time has passed, if your weight has changed and if you have had children.  If you went from a B to a C three months ago and have changed your mind, you will likely look pretty similar to your preoperative state.  If you went from an A to a D fifteen  years ago and have nursed 4 children, you should  expect some significant sagging. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD