Why can't I get a hair transplant from another person?

Dermal sheath or dermal papilla cells are immune-resistant. Past research has shown that transplanting these cells from the donor to the recipient leads to the development/growth of hair follicles. Why can't these cells be immediately transplanted from the donor (can be deceased) to the recipient? For example, Dr. Jahoda transplanted his dermal sheath cells to his wife who grew hair on her arm. There was no rejection of the hair.

Hair transplant from another person

Your own immune system will reject the transplanted hair from another person, so therefore the risks involved out weight the benefits of hair transplant.

Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplants between people

This is technically possible, but the transplants will reject once they start growing because they are from someone other than you. Your body looks at it like an attack on your body and it will attack and destroy the hair that was transplanted.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you find a willing doctor and a willing dead donor you can try hair transplant from another donor.

Hair transplant surgery is not a medical necessity.  It is an elective cosmetic surgery.
You pose an interesting question but the practicality, safety, and the logistics of how to go about doing (for a cosmetic surgery) may be a greater challenge.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cloning hair for hair transplant

The mechanism behind dermal papilla cells is not entirely clear but appears to be cloning (the papilla cell dna is incorporated to the new follicle). The problem is the papilla cells need to be grown in a tissue culture (outside the body) in large quantity, and this process has not been perfected. Likewise this needs FDA approval before trying on humans which will take awhile, and even then we don't know if the new hairs will last. So for now, hair transplant is still our best option. However, this is exciting research.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Papilla Immunoresistent

Good question, I read the study and had the same question myself. Practically speaking, the issues becomes how well those papilla cells recreate a normal, scalp appearance. Current hair transplant moves dermal papilla as well as dermis and as you know works very well.  So if they are truly rejection immune, will they ultimately look aesthetically pleasing.  I am interested in a wider discussion/analysis.
Dr John Frank, MD

John E. Frank, MD
New York Hair Restoration Surgeon