I have puffy nipples, What can I do to reduce or get rid of the puffiness?

I was 100 lbs ever since I was 15, many people said I looked anorexic then about a year later I started to gain massive weight. I stopped gaining weight at about 180 lbs for two years I was overweight and about early/mid 2014 my chest started to look like breast. I wore double shirts everyday until early 2015 when I started to do something about my weight. Now I am 132 lbs and my chest is flat but the puffy nipples are still there.

Doctor Answers 6

About Gynecomastia with Puffy Nipples Complex

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

I have puffy nipples, What can I do to reduce or get rid of the puffiness?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your description it is likely Gynecomastia which is corrected surgically. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Gynecomastia SC

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a very common complaint we see in males. This could be a condition called gynecomastia. Treatment for this is very minimal and can be done as an outpatient procedure. I recommend to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a formal examination and to discuss the procedure more in detail. 

Puffy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  There is a chance that there is still fat in your chest area even if you have lost weight, but if breast tissue formed there as well, the only way to remove it would be by breast reduction surgery performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.  

All the best,



{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
don't know of a way other than surgery but then again wenick inside thelight sedation plus some local anesthesia. A tiny nick inside the armpit and a special machine that can break up the hard gland tissue and suction it out.should be able to improve this for you. Good luck with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.