Why are my nipples flat post gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

It has been 18 days now and my nipples are still flat. Will they return to a normal shape? I'm getting worried now and starting to panic.

Puffy Nipples 2 Years After Gyno Surgery

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified . In addition to checking board-certifications, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Gyne

It appears that all the gynecomastia tissue has been removed and I doubt that you will experience any recurrence. You have probably been used to having puffy nipples and if you are unhappy about the long term result, grafting can help correct that. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Flat nipples

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It appears that your nipples are flat and will remain that way unless you have fat grafting done.

Dr. JSB

Nipples

Thank you for the photos and question and if you had excision, you may have had enough gland resected from under the nipples to cause them to sink in.  The good news is that projection can restored with further surgery and  grafting if necessary

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD