Do I have gynecomastia or lipomastia? (photos)

I am wondering if I look like I have either of the two, and if I do, what specific type? I have thinking about getting surgery done and I am wondering what specific type this is, and how much does it normally cost. I have been self conscious about this for awhile and am finally wanting to do something about it.

Gynecomastia is created by excess fat and a discoid tissue underneath the nipple and areola. This can be corrected with a combination of liposuction and direct excision. Please see examples below.

Candidate for gynecomastia removal

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

About Gynecomastia and Treatment

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

#gynecomastia #self-conscious #maleplasticsurgery

True #gynecomastia (glandular breast tissue)  vs pseudogynecomastia (fat) can only be determined by exam.  I think what you are really asking is the difference in how your surgeon would approach correction of your issues. If you have true gynecomastia, there is actual glandular breast tissue present. This is usually addressed with a mixture of liposuction and excision of breast tissue. It may also involve excision of skin.A pseudogynecomatia there is no true breast glandular tissue. This can be addressed with liposuction alone and possible excess skin excision.The extend of your surgery can only be determined by exam. I would recommend you find a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation to  determine the extent of your surgery so you can receive accurate pricing.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

You have gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is derived from Greek terms  gyno which means feminine and mastos which means breasts. So literally gynecomastia means breasts that appear feminine in a male patient.Each patient has two tissue components in their breasts,a glandular or breast tissue component and an adipose or fatty component.

Hello and thank you for your question. The only way tell for sure is with an in-person physical examination.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for removal of your chest fat and/or parenchymal tissue.   This can be performed with minimal scarring.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Gynecomastia or lipomastia or a combinations?

The only reason it makes a difference whether this is gynecomastia, lipomastia or a combination is so the appropriate surgery may be planned.  And while an in person exam is necessary to plan your surgery, and decide can this be treated best by excision, liposuction or some combination, an exam doesn't always give the exact answer.  There have been times that I have had to change my approach during surgery.  The label doesn't matter as much as finding a plastic surgeon with enough experience in gynecomastia surgery to recognize they are all just a little different.  Look for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an interest in gynecomastia and go for a consult. Prices will vary by region and by what type of surgery you require.  I hope this helps.  Best of luck!

Melinda Haws, MD

Thank you for the question and you appear to be an excellent candidate for excision of the excess tissue which will flatten your areoles.  So see some experts in your area
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I have gynecomastia or lipomastia?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs, and I am sorry that your chest has caused you to be self-conscious.  I do see its fullness and agree that surgical intervention would help to improve its contour.  Whether it is gynecomastia or pseudo gynecomastia depends on an in-person examination as this will guide treatment.  The former typically requires an incision to directly excise the glandular tissue while the former can often be remedied with liposuction alone.  Hope this helps.

You would need to be examined in person to be properly evaluated.  Glandular tissue is what true gynecomastia is caused by.