Do I have pseudogynecomastia or gynecomastia? (Photos)

Is it just fat or a hormonal imbalance? How do I get rid if these without surgery or pills?

Doctor Answers 5

Is this Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. Based on your photo, I do think you have Gynecomastia. This would best be treated with some chest liposuction as well as removal of any breast tissue. It is normal for men to have some breast tissue. I recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine if you have any other underlying medical causes for this (medications, developmental issues, etc). There are no pills to take to help with this. I hope this was helpful. All the best.

Do I have pseudogynecomastia or gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.  Seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia or Chest Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is a chance that your condition could be either or both of these in question, considering how long it has been in place, and the different times that it has bee present and grown. You may have Adult Gynecomastia  where fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition. You could have the remainder of Adolescent Gynecomastia, more hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. It is likely that a dual procedure will be required if you do have both fat and gynecomastia, but that will best be determined with your surgeon in consultation. Those procedures together are the following: Liposuction and Excision Combination – The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Results and Recovery Visible results are immediate. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. Dressings and bandages will be applied to incisions and a support garment will be used to support the new chest contour and minimize swelling. At times, a thin small tube will be placed under the skin in order to drain fluid and blood that may collect. The results are usually permanent. On occasion the condition may return and treatment will need to be repeated.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

You have gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have very distinct gynecomastia. You can not get rid of it without surgery.  It is not likely that it is from hormonal imbalance since there is no such evidence of that on rest of your body.

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Do I have pseudogynecomastia or gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based only on your photos, you appear to have gynecomastia. While the cause is primarily genetic, other factors such as medications, steroid use and a few other things are also causes. Surgery is generally the best option for treatment. Recover is short and the results should be permanent. The scars are easily camouflaged and you can go without a shirt without others noticing.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.