I had an arm lift and my right armpit is in lots of pain with puss, is this normal? (Photo)

Why is this opening?

Brachioplasty/Arm lift/Liposuction/ Vaser Hi Definition procedures

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

I had an arm lift and my right armpit is in lots of pain with puss, is this normal?

This is not uncommon after an arm lift. It happens as there is a lot of movement that causes the incision to open a little and bacteria in the underarm to create infection, etc. Your doctor could consider an AquaCel / Silver type dressing that works like an antibiotic to speed up the healing, do a wound swab to determine the type of bacterial and possibly put you on antibiotics. These are general principles and what you need should be determined by what your doctor and yourself decide as the best course.

Mahmood Kara, MD

Not normal

This is not normal after any surgical procedure. You should go to the surgeon who performed the procedure and if they are not available you should see a medical provider right away.

Hakim Said, MD, FACS

Arm lift problems

It is difficult to answer your question based on limited information that you have supplied.  I would recommend you see your operating surgeon ASAP if you have any questions.  In general, it is normal to have some pain after surgery, but not normal to have lots of pain with puss.  Again, you need to contact your operating surgeon and see him/her to answer your question.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon