What procedure would help treat the upper lip scar from a dog bite? Doctor has recommended Fraxel Laser. (photos)

I was bitten by a dog on the upper lip approx 8 months ago. It left me with a surface irregularity that is causing me a lot of distress. My Dr. Recommended fraxel laser to even border irregularity and blend into surrounding skin. Is there anything else that can help me? Dermabrasion? Thank you!

Treatment for dog bite scar

The best way to address this scar is with a combination of Vbeam and Fraxel lasers. I would also start a regimen of kenalog and 5FU injections  to reduce the raised portion of the scar. The sooner you get started, the better the results will be. You will need multiple treatments. I hope you feel better soon!

Dr. Groff

San Diego Dermatologist

Combination of therapies for scars

In my experience the optimal outcome in the treatment of scars comes from a combination of therapies.The Fraxel laser is a good recommendation.Combining the Fraxel with other laser modalities to target redness, and with injections and possibly creams to help soften the scar will give the best result.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar on upper lip

The scar on your upper lip can generally be helped with a combination of treatments.  You may benefit from a combination of V-Beam, Fraxel, and intralesional kenalog injections to flatten the scar.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with scars and lasers.

Scar therapy

The gold standard for hypertrophic (thickened, raised, and red &/or darkly pigmented) scar therapy is pressure and time - occasionally a year or more. If this fails then scar revision surgery may be considered. Although the results of scar therapy vary from person to person and scar to scar, the results are typically permanent.
Not infrequently potential patients avoid surgery because fear of an unsightly scar. To remedy this, I now utilize and formulate compounded topical creams to treat, relieve and minimize scars for each of my patients:
• new scars
• old scars
• surgical scars
• keloid scars
• stretch marks
• hypertrophic scars
• hyperpigmented (dark) scars
• various acne scars, and more...
These scar removal creams contain prescription strength medications each individually known to reduce and/or reverse the scarring process but never before compounded together into one high potency formulation. These medications are added to a base of anhydrous silicone (the most common ingredient in everyday topical scar therapy) and Pracaxi oil, found in the Amazon rainforest and known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Many health insurance plans actually cover the cost of the creams and they can be delivered directly to the patients door step. In other words, no need for multiple trips to the doctor for expensive and painful laser treatments, or wasted money on minimally effective over-the-counter topical scar therapy gels or silicone sheets that are unsightly and/or fail to stay on. Instead, with just two applications a day my patients now perform scar therapy in the comfort of their own home. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD