Will 10 days be enough time to recover and go back to work after Fraxel Laser for upper lip lines and wrinkles?

I would like to have fraxel done on my upper lip area only. The rest of my skin is probably OK. Would ten days be sufficient to be able to cover any redness so I could go back to work and not be obvious? thank-you

Fraxel for Lip Lines

There are several types of Fraxel laser treatments. For best results on the upper lip lines I would recommend using the Fraxel Repair. Fraxel Repair is a CO2 laser and is ablative which means it will cause a wound.

Fraxel Repair usually has 3-5 days of wounding and patients are usually healed and back in make up in 7-10 days. The treated area may be slightly pink after the treatment for up to 30 days as the skin continues to renew itself.

Depending on the severity of your lip lines it may be necessary to do more than one treatment or add additional filler for best result.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist with plenty of experience with CO2 lasers to see if this treatment is appropriate for you.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Will 10 days be enough time to recover and go back to work after Fractional CO2 Laser for upper lip lines and wrinkles?

Yes.

Typically 10 days is enough time to heal from a fractional (i.e., Fraxel, Active Fx) CO2 laser.  However, the results that you will achieve depends on the type and quality of the laser. 

Lip lines and wrinkles are the most difficult to improve and require a laser system with the best laser wavelength (CO2 is the gold standard (the "best")) wavelength not erbium or any other) and the thoroughness of the laser treatment is also important, which most fractional CO2 lasers do not meet.  Indeed, most fractional CO2 lasers are excellent for treating brown spots, skin texture issues, uneven skin tones, and FINE lines and wrinkles, but are ineffective at deeper lines and wrinkles, especially around the mouth. 

Treating lip lines and wrinkles effectively requires a "full" CO2 laser.  Think of a fractional CO2 laser like a math fractional number (1/2, 1/4); that is, it is less than a full or whole number, likewise the laser results are less.  A "full" CO2 laser around the mouth can be performed with only local anesthesia and is healed enough at 10 days that make-up can be used to covered the residual pinkness.

Please see the links below for additional information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Fraxel for upper lip lines

While the Fraxel is an excellent laser, its weakness is upper lip lines. Most patients see very little difference in their lip lines with Fraxel treatment. The best treatment for lip lines is using a combination of Ultrapulse CO2 laser and an erbium laser. Using these lasers requires a special skill set and therefore isn't offered at many offices.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel Recovery

Depending on which fraxel laser and the settings used, 10 days is generally sufficient for recovery.  The newest fraxel dual lasers allow for minimal down time.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as a good communication tool with your doctor.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Fraxel Laser and upper lip lines

The Fraxel laser is a great laser for pigmentation and wrinkles.  The healing time generally depends both on your skin type and the energy (joules) used.  Usually ten days is sufficient time to recover from the Fraxel laser.  Post-op I suggest you use Epiceram and sunscreen. For the best results please consult a board certifed dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers.