Laughing after rhinoplasty. The nose base and columella hurt when i laugh. Is it possible I have ruined my rhinoplasty results?

2 days after removing the cast off my nose i have seen a small difference in the nostrils,i think they have gotten a bit droopy and bigger than they were the day i removed the cast/bandage . i am worried that it might be because of laughing the last 2 days.i had my bump removed ,the tip and the columella reshaped .the nose base and columella hurt when i laugh.is it possible that i have ruined my rhinoplasty results ?!

Early Post-Op

Don't worry.  It is completely normal to see increased swelling in the nose after the splint is removed.  Don't be surprised if a different part of the nose concerns you next week, as the swelling and result will change over time before you get to your final result in one year.  Pain in the tip and columella is also normal weeks to months after surgery.  Make sure you go to all of your post-op appointments, and don't hesitate to call your surgeon to be seen early if you have concerns.  Best wishes.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Laughing after Rhinoplasty

Not to worry!  You've done nothing wrong.  After an open rhinoplasty or even sometimes in a closed procedure with septoplasty combined the smile can be affected, the nose feel tense and tight and the base of the nose and lip just feel "wrong".  This almost always corrects itself in the first 3-4 weeks.  Just give it time and it will all go back to normal in the near future.  Hope that helps!

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laughing and rhinoplasty results

Laughing should not impact your result but may cause soreness as tissues pull with the smile. Good luck with your results.  

Laughing does not ruin Rhinoplasty results

Do not be alarmed that you have ruined your results. Your nose will change as time goes on, especially these next 6 months. Laughing is an unlikely cause of the changes. If you continue to have concerns you can consult with your doctor for an in person opinion.
Hope this helps,
Dr. Ali Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Unlikely

The results of rhinoplasty should not be significantly altered from laughing.  I would be patient in this first 4 week period before judging the final results. 

So soon after rhinoplasty, you will still have a significant amount of swelling in the base of your nose; therefore, it's normal to feel some discomfort or tightness when smiling or laughing.  I would not pay much attention to small differences in the nostrils as that can occur as a result of positional swelling changes during sleep, etc.  It's highly unlikely that you have caused any harm in your rhinoplasty results.  Contact your surgeon for more re-assurance.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Smiling/laughing after rhinoplasty

It is unlikely that you have ruined anything just from smiling or laughing. It is very common to have a tight sensation or pain with movement of your mouth after rhinoplasty. This is due to the connection of your upper lip with the base of your columella and ala. Your nose will also change on a daily basis for the first few weeks after the splint is removed. This is because the swelling redistributes. There is usually not much to do at this point except discuss with your surgeon and make sure you are on track with normal healing.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon