When can I wash my face normally after a rhinoplasty? I just had it 5 days ago.

Washing face after rhinoplasty

You will need to ask your surgeon for their specific preference; however, once the splint is removed you should be able to wash your face and nose with soap and water.  I recommend to my patients using a gentle, facial soap cleanser once the cast is removed.

Wash face

Thank you for your question.  Once your splint is off you can wash your face normally.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

When can I wash my face after rhinoplasty?

If you are washing your face gently with your hands than you should be ok a couple days after surgery. However, do not aggressively push on your nose and be very sensitive with the area. 
Hope this helps!
Dr. Ali Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Define normal. Some people wash with their hands, and others with scrubs or washcloth.  Be careful not to disturb the splint.  I would wash carefully, and wait until the splint is off before aggressive washing.  Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Washing your face after rhinoplasty

In my practice, once the tape and cast are removed after 1 week you can wash your face gently with any cleanser you prefer.  Usually, when I tell patients it is time to wash their face I get a jubuliant smile and a hug patients are so happy!  Ask your surgeon, but in general if all bandages and casting are off you can proceed with washing your face.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Washing your face after Rhinoplasty

Most rhinoplasty surgeons will allow patients to wash their face with a gentle cleanser after the sutures and external splint are removed. I use an external splint held in place with a skin adhesive and paper tape and I allow my patients to shower and wash their hair on postop day two. When this type of splint is used, it's generally ok to get the splint wet as long as it's not completely submerged in water. With all that being said, the most important point to remember is that you should strictly follow your surgeon's verbal and written instructions and don't be afraid to call your surgeon's office for clarification. 

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon