Will indents heal on their own? I am big into working out. Will chest exercises help improve the indents? (Photo)

Hello, I've had gyno surgey almost 7 weeks ago. No Lipo. Never given vest. All I am worried about are the indentations. I feel as if they're getting worse. 2 weeks in (5 wks ago), the General Surgeon sucked out some fluid due to swelling. Today, I am just worried about the indents as they seem to have gotten worse the last couple weeks. 1. Will they heal on their own? 2. I am big into working out. Will chest exercises help improve the indents? I've been messaging/rolling nips almost every day.

Indentation Concern Following Gynocomastia Surgery

It's still early in your recovery from gynecomastia surgery. As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. In the future, if you are still experiencing your crater concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.  They may possibly be able to address the issue with fat grafting or cosmetic fillers if you are a good fit.

Will indents heal on their own?

Hi dmh27123,

There are several things you mentioned in your post that need to be addressed. First, you developed a fluid collection, or seroma, that needed to be drained. Second, you were not given a compression vest.  Even in a perfectly executed surgery, these two factors could lead to scarring and scar contracture. At 7 weeks, your are relatively early on the healing curve. 

The only thing that I would recommend is to increase the area that you are massaging. Based on the photo it appears that your indentation is not just isolated to the areola and nipple. It looks as if it extends towards the outer part of your chest. With massage and time, this may improve. I would not consider any other invasive procedures until your are at least 6 months out from surgery.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Give it some time

I usually tell patients that it takes at least 3 months for underlying scar tissue to settle, sometimes longer.  Massaging the entire surgical area is helpful.  Thant said I always combine liposuction with direct excision for a smoother result.

Carol L. Hathaway, MD
Spokane Valley Plastic Surgeon

Chest indents after gynecomastia surgery

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think it will completely smooth out. It looks like just the dense central breast tissue was removed. That is why liposuction is added - to help contour the rest of the chest tissue. I agree though that it is far to early to tell the final result. I generally think that the final result is seen 3-4 months after surgery. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Indents post gynecomastia

This will improve with time.I would apply heat and do massage.This should hopefully correct it.I would give it at least 6 months.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Will indents heal on their own? I am big into working out. Will chest exercises help improve the indents?

Irregular results in my over the internet opinion can ONLY be addressee by fat grafting... Best to use a boarded Plastic Surgeon this time around! 

Male Breast Reduction | Gynecomastia

At 7 weeks, it is still early.  I have seen these indentations smooth out over 6 months to a year.  It does take a long time sometimes.

To be sure, return to see your surgeon or see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Indentations post op gynecomastia

7 weeks post op is still early, the denting can be from the nipple sticking to the undeflying muscle, you need to discuss this concern with your doctor. If it doesn't get better, you might need to have fat injected under the nipple to break up the scarring and denting.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Indents after gynecomastia surgery

You are still too early for your final result. However, you may want to see a board-certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your chest and these and indents .

Gynecomastia aesthetic issue

Did the surgeon resect/remove mostly gland(using a lower nipple/areolar incision)?

From the photos and your history,  you may have a so called "donut deformity"

In short, a bit too much gland removed on the right.

Working out may help, but time(as the swelling receeds) MAY make things a but worse.

If this does occur, fat graftng in a (permanent) solution.

Best of luck

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS