Advice for 43 Year Old Considering Facelift?

I am a 43-year-old (athlete) with facial volume loss, a turkey neck, and signs of jowls just beginning to form. I recently had a consult with a plastic surgeon who recommended a deep plane facelift, as it would give the best and longest lasting result. He also told me a facelift at this age would ultimately hold up better than not having it done, as the muscles and other deep facial structures would be fixed in place, thereby making them more resistant to the natural downward migration of tissue in the aging process. Is this true?

Facelift for a 45-year old

Aging is dependent upon your genetics. If the patient has significant facial fat loss and jowling, one could consider doing a “Lift & Fill” facelift. I would usually not recommend a “Deep Plane Facelift” as it has certainly not been shown to provide a longer-lasting facelift result, but does increase morbidity and recovery. I do recommend that you see a true facial rejuvenation expert with Expertise and Experience and has Exceptional results in facial rejuvenation. Especially, in the younger age group so that you have a natural look and not a “windswept” Hollywood appearance.

Need, Not Age, Determines Candidacy for Facelift

The most important decision in undergoing a facelift is choosing the best doctor.  There are a variety of techniques for facelifting.  It is known that all facelifts that lift the deeper facial muscles/SMAS have the best long term results.  Some believe that a deep plane will last longer but others disagree.  There is no proof that a deep plane last longer.  A deep plane has potentially a longer recovery and increased risk due to it more aggressive surgical nature and an increase proximity to vital structures such as the facial nerve.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

About Facial Rejuvenation with Lite-lift™

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. The LiteLift™ is an innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself which benefits many male patients. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.
The technique requires limited incisions and takes a vertical lifting approach, in contrast to the traditional facelift, which requires extensive incisions and lifts or pulls the face towards the ears horizontally. The modern techniques used allow us to perform most LiteLift® procedures in the office under local anesthesia. Also, removing the risk of general anesthesia opens the door for more people to pursue facial surgery. All too often people do not move forward with undergoing the desires facelift surgery due to their overwhelming fear of the risks associated with general anesthesia.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with stable skin elasticity, well-defined bone structure but showing early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. All in all, Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient.

Facial rejuvenation

Thank you for the question.  Facial rejuvenation is the process of reversing some of the signs of aging including volume loss and sagging soft tissue and skin.  A face lift may be needed to improve the sagging part of aging but it will not address the volume loss.  Often, fat grafting is combined with face lift surgery to accomplish the best result when volume loss is also the case.  I would define your aesthetic goal and seek consultation from several board certified plastic surgeon.

All  the best,

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

43 year old facelift, which plane?

The basis of a facelift is not pulling the skin rather it is repositioning of tissues under the skin and then re-draping the skin over the more youthful understructure. In some patients neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead are done concurrently. The quality of the skin, loss of volume, or descent of tissues can only be accessed by a physical exam. Also each surgeon has a technique which works in their hands.  I would be less concerned about the plane of dissection and more focused on before/after and comfort with the surgeon.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed exam and treatment plan. Most have complimentary or low cost consultations.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Best Advice For A Facelift

The key for any facelift is does it address the proper anatomic cause of aging and your individual anatomy.  At 43 years of age, one of the key issues for you would be laxity of the skin, to determine which procedure would be best for you.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

43 years of age may be a bit young for deep plane facelift

At 43 years of age, it sounds as though you are a bit young to have a deep plane facelift. The goal of a face/neck lift surgery is to remove fat from the neck both above and below the platysma muscle, tightening the jowls, and removing any excess skin. Hollowness will not be improved with a facelift since it tightens the skin. The deep plane facelift has a higher complication rate, which should be discussed with your surgeon.

Facelift in a 43 year old

The selection of the appropriate facelift procedure does not depend on your age, but rather your individual degree of facial aging. Without seeing pictures, my best advice is to get a second opinion. You may ulimately choose to have the deep plane lift.

See a plastic or facial plastic surgeon who is a facelift specialist.

Get a second opinion and see what another experienced facelift surgeon says after he is able to examine your face. Also, a facelift resets the clock---it doesn't stop it. So you will continue to age.

Facelifts at 43 years of age

A facelift is indicated if you have enough descent in the cheeks, jowl formation along the jawline and laxity in the neck regardless of your relatively young age. The situation requires careful analysis though and it sounds like in your case, the only issue requiring surgery is the neck laxity. Facial volume loss can be improved by repositioning of the descended tissues, but if you are exceptionally thin, injectable volume enhacement works better.

Also, it has well been shown that the variety of facelifts including SMAS lifts and deep plane lifts have similar long-term effects as long as the deep tissues are addressed so don't be "sold" on the deep plane as there are far fewer sureons performing this anymore. The SMAS lifts are more versatile and the vectors of tissue repositioning re much more adjustable for the optimal result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS