My eyes look way smaller after the upper/lower eyes blepharoplasty? (Photos)

I am 6 days post opp. My heart sink to see that my eyes are way smaller than before opp. I understand that swollen will goes down but I am really concern if my eyes will ever go back to the original size. My surgeon said they will but I cannot help to have serious doubt since the size of my eyes haven't improved much since the day of the surgery. Is it normal for the eyes to look way smaller after this type of surgery at this stage and is it true that the eyes will go back to the original size?

Smaller eyes after blepharoplasty

You are still quite swollen. Be patient. Your eyes will go back to their original size.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post bleperoplasty swelling

Post surgical swelling of the eyelids always cause the eyes to appear more closed in the early post op phase. As the swelling subsides, they return to a more pleasing and youthful appearance.

Eyes smaller after surgery

Please don't panic yet; eyes are often smaller after surgery due to temporary swelling.  Hopefully as the swelling abates, your eyes will look beautiful!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Eye shape change post op

You have a lot of post-op swelling so really can't make any judgement about the size of the eyes. They always look smaller when swollen. Need to wait at least 3-4 months to see how you heal.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Try to be patient here.

Eyelids alway swell.  This makes it very difficult to know what type of result you have.  It will be weeks really before you know.  Try to be patient.  This takes time.  Please consider reposting here if you have new concerns.

Post-operative recovery

Swelling and bruising after surgery is normal and should be expected. About two weeks of bruising and swelling is typical for upper and lower blepharoplasty.  Keep in mind that every patient will progress slightly differently after surgery so this healing period can vary.  Follow post-operative instructions given to you by your surgeon and give the surgical sites additional time to heal. 

Always feel comfortable to contact your surgeon for further questions and concerns. 

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postop blepharoplasty

you just had surgery and need time to heal. If these issues continue, please discuss with your surgeon.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post operative swelling / belpharoplasty

Yes this can be normal after blepharoplasty. You are very fresh post operatively. This is likely post surgery edema/swelling. 

One thing that can help is to eat a salt restricted diet (less than 1000mg / day).This helps distribute the body fluids and restricts some of the edema.

You should see your surgeon for further recommendations but sit up at 45-90 deg as much as possibly. Sleep with multiple pillows under your head. Those are all typical recommendations to improve post operative swelling. 

Be patient. 

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon