How long will swelling last after gyno surgery?

I just had gyno surgery (one hour ago) and my breasts are now extremely swollen. I would like to know how long this will last. I cannot go back to work with these ridiculous breasts. I took 5 days off, it hope it will be enough..

Immediate swelling post-op after gynecomastia surgery (male breast tissue) requires immediate attention

Thank you for your question as it is an important one after any kind of #PlasticSurgery procedure.

A certain amount of swelling is expected for the first 1-2 weeks post-surgery.  Most of us use #Tumescence liposuction as part of the treatment of #gynecomastia. It is not uncommon for the surgeon to infiltrate several hundreds of milliliters of fluid prior to liposuction and excision of the excess glands.  It is also common to inject some longer-lasting local anesthetics.  Finally, there are also different techniques for gynecomastia surgery and therefore different amount of possible swelling post-op: gynecomastia surgery can include liposuction alone – (and the type of liposuction machine used can also dictate the amount of swelling) - excision of gland alone, lifting of nipple and areola in severe gynecomastia, combination of different procedures, etc.

Bleeding is an important cause of immediate post-op swelling and should be ruled out first.  If you had surgery just one hour ago, ask your surgeon to have a look - or his/her nurse if the surgeon is in surgery.  A hematoma would typically only occur on one side. Did you surgeon use drains? Drains are sometimes left in place for a few days to collect all post-op fluids.  Hematoma may require going back to surgery.

I also commonly use a compression vest garment on my #Toronto patients after gynecomastia surgery to help maintaining a slight compression.

Hope this helps!

#DrMarcDuPere, Toronto board-certified Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the #swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. But if this causes concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

There is acute swelling which will lasts for a few days, then chronic swelling which will lasts several months.  The acute swelling is the more visible swelling.  Thus, in a few days you should start looking less puffy.

Tim Neavin, MD

Significant swelling the last 4 to 6 weeks after gynecomastia surgery.

Depending on the type of treatment for gynecomastia, excision versus liposuction, significant swelling will be visible  for a couple of weeks. Some swelling will persist for several months

Extreme Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi m4rdz,

Swelling is very common and to be expected after any surgery.  There are two causes of extreme swelling right after gynecomastia surgery. The first one, especially if performed under local anesthesia is the actual local anesthetic that was injected in order for you to have a pain free experience. This,in combination with the swelling that occurs from surgical dissection can lead to significant swelling and can be expected to subside within several weeks, especially if a compression garment is worn and exercise is restricted.

The second cause of extreme swelling right after surgery is due to bleeding and is called a hematoma. Typically this is more common on one side and not both breasts and can be associated with pain and increased bruising. If you are having one sided swelling, pain, and or bruising you need to contact your surgeon and be evaluated.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Extreme swelling

The majority of swelling should be gone in 2-3 weeks.  Extreme swelling, especially if it is just on one side, could be a sign of a hematoma.  Please alert your surgeon of this so you can be checked out as soon as possible.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon