Closed rhinoplasty swelling. Other than arnica cream, is there anything I can do to reduce it? (Photo)

I'm happy with my result but other than arnica cream is there anything else I can do to reduce swelling? It's everywhere but mainly around tip it looks quite bulbous front view. I'm only 13 days post op so I know it's more a matter of Paitence.

Swelling after surgery

It is absolutely normal to have some swelling at that point-. Try to be patient. Arnica and  Caléndula oinments work well. However if some  swelling persists after 45 days localized injections of Kenacort work well.

Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. I think you have a good early result! Really, for tip edema there's not a lot you can do to hasten improvement. With a closed approach, you'll get rid of edema sooner than an open approach for sure, but it's still going to take a bit of time. I would sleep with your head elevated and try to avoid salty foods. Give it some time! I think you're going to be very pleased.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

Thanks for your question. Since you are only 13 days post-op, the swelling that you are describing sounds like a normal part of the healing process. The tissue in your nose experienced trauma during your surgery, and the result is swelling. Most of the time, external swelling goes down significantly in the first few weeks following surgery, however internal swelling can take up to a year to completely resolve. As hard as it is after having a rhinoplasty, I recommend that my patients try to avoid analyzing their nose in the mirror too much over the first few weeks of the healing process. The nose will change subtly as swelling goes down and things settle into place. I recommend that my patients take arnica/bromelane capsules following surgery to help with swelling. Aside from that the most important thing that you can do is to rest and allow your body to put it's energy towards healing. If you are especially concerned about your swelling, I recommend scheduling a follow up visit with your surgeon so they can assess you in person and make any recommendations. Good luck

Babak Azizzadeh, MD