Can I go from a B cup to a DD at one time with implants?

I am planning on getting breast implants done and I would like to increase from a B cup to a DD. Is this possible from one operation?

Choosing implants

Yes, it is possible to go from a B to a DD cup with one surgery. Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

B to DD? Never a good idea.

The process of breast augmentation is about understanding the trade-offs.  You want to make good decisions for yourself both for today and for the future.  I see many patients who are an A or B cup and may ask to be a D cup or larger. My response is that you might think that you want that, but you haven't lived at that size before.  I see many many patients with D and DD size breasts (who have never had implants) who have back and shoulder pain, difficulty exercising, etc.  They have a breast reduction and are thrilled to be rid of their pain.  And when these breasts are large because of prior implants, then they can have problems with stretching of the skin/ atrophy of the breast tissue from the pressure of the implants that can be very difficult to fix, even after removing the overly large implants.  So the first answer is no, it isn't a good idea.  You shouldn't want an operation that is going to "hurt" you by causing problems later.  The second answer is -don't focus on cup size.  Your breast measurements determine how large an implant that you can have.  You want to fill the breast but not overly stretch the breast.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Beware of excessively large augmentations

Thank you for your question. Yes, this is possible to go from a B cup to a DD but I do not recommend it as the risk of complications increase remarkably. This is true especially if you have not had children and nursed. In my opinion, implants should be biometrically sized and chosen to fit your body proportions or anatomy. In my experience, the older a woman gets, the less she likes having large breasts. Too large of implants can result in heavy breast syndrome, back and neck pain, shoulder grooving and continued breast drooping. Please seek expert consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon for proper sizing. Best of luck to you!

Dell Smith, MD
Twin Falls Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, the answer is:  it depends.   Some patients will have enough skin/tissue pliability to allow for significant breast size in one operation; some patients tissues are tighter and will require more than one stage to achieve their desired outcome.   As an example, some women who have had children and/or significant weight loss, have more skin/tissue pliability and are more likely to be able to achieve a significant "jump" in breast size with one operation.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Your final size will be dictated by the size of your breast pocket. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Good luck!!