Chin implant size? (Photos)

Hi, I'm planning to get a chin implant, but not sure what size to choose. I went to 2 consultations and one dr recommended small size and another one medium. I included photos of how it looks right now and how I want it to look. (Photoshopped of course, just to give you an idea) Thank you

Sizes for chin implants

Thanks for your question; There is not a significant difference in the actual dimensions of chin implants from one size to the next. For example, going from a small size to a medium size the there is only a .5mm change in actual chin projection. Your surgeon should have multiple sizes availalble at the time of surgery and use the "sizers" provided by the company to determine which size is most appropriate. These are placed and can be evaluated and changed as needed until the most appropriate size is selected. Once the size is selcted, the permanent implant can be placed. Having a discussion with the surgeon and allowing him some leeway to make the final decision at the time of surgery is best. Remember, in the case that you are not satisfied, the implant can easlily be removed and replaced with another side. Good luck!   

Choosing your chin implant size

Thanks for sharing and nice photographs which helps the experts here make better opinions.  I print out the pre-op photos and go over with the patient where she would like to see her chin. The patient and I draw on the photograph where we would like the chin similar to what you have done in photo shop. Your surgeon should have small and medium "sizers" (as well as large and XL)  He then can place them inside your chin and determine on the table what size looks best.  Once this is determined, he can then open the actual small or medium implant. The surgeon should have both sizes you are thinking about in stock. However, we usually have in mind what size we need already and almost always it is just confirmed with the sizers.   In my opinion I would lean towards the medium but an in-person exam would be needed to confirm. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Planning to get a chin implant, but not sure what size to choose. I went to 2 consultations and one dr recommended small size an

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  There is a simple way to determine the amount of chin projection required which differs for a man vs a woman's face as described in the attached video.  Placing "too" large of a implant size on a woman will make the face relatively masculine so it's important to select a Surgeon who's experienced in facial augmentation with facial implants. I typically use a size Small chin implant for women.

Hope this helps.

Female Chin Augmentation

When it comes to female chin augmentation a good rule to follow is….less is more. It is real easy to make a chin augmentation too big in females. Also make sure you pay attention to how the implant will affect the front view as you also do not want a chin that ends up being too wide. This is a common aesthetic problem in female chin augmentations.

Chin implant size for a female face?

Hello Happygirl20161367 - Thanks for your question. Chin implant surgery is typically an easy and well-tolerated procedure. It can be performed in the office using local anesthesia. In general the soft tissue effect of an implant in terms of the increase in forward projection is 1/2 of the thickness of the implant. Discuss the amount of projection you might need with your surgeon and find the implant that matches that need. A small implant is the safest option, but if you want a noticeable result, I would go with the medium implant, especially if you are tall. Communicate your desires clearly with the surgeon of your choice to make sure you end up with what you want. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant size?

Hello, thank you for providing your picture and "vision" of what you would like to have your chin look like. I too use photo imaging as a way to translate my patients potential outcome as it relates to the size of the implant. You have a realistic goal. You sought out two consultations - that is great! This is a reliable procedure and perhaps there many be other factors that cause you some concern. In terms of implant size, there is not too much difference between a small and medium implant. Perhaps it may be a good idea to go back to your two previous doctors to see if you feel comfortable after a second consult. I don't know their office policy but I allow my patients to come in as many times as needed without additional costs so that they feel good about their anticipated outcome. Pre-operative patient - doctor communication is a big key to post operative happiness!  

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Chin implant size?

The size and the shape of the implant is usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since the mandible, chin, and the implants are all three-dimensional structures. In addition, the augmentation is in three dimensions which include forward projection, width, and vertical height. In our practice, most  of the implants that we use are size small and a few are sized medium when there's a significant weak and recessive chin profile present. It's important not to overdo the size of the implant. The  digitally altered photograph represents a size small chin implant. In our practice for over 25 years, we have used Implantech silastic implants with an excellent success rate. For more information, many  before and after results of chin implants and diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Chin size

Thank you the photos and question and there are multiple different shaped implants that fall into the small and medium category so an in person examination aided by digital photography at all angles is really needed.  So see some more experts that use this technique and be evaluated

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Chin Implant Size (Photo)

Dear Happy Girl, Thank you for posting your photos with your interesting question. It appears that a medium chin implant would give you the amount of chin projection that you desire. I would contour and reduce the height of the implant, because you need the projection only along the bottom of the chin. I routinely use a small chin crease incision and create a pocket only large enough to fit the implant. This way the implant cannot migrate later. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced with chin implants and facial aesthetics, who can examine you, answer all of your questions, discuss your expectations, and show you their before and after results. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift