Will repairing my deviated septum straighten my nose? Will that be covered by insurance? (Photo)

My nose is crooked due to my deviated septum. I have never broken my nose, but my nose started becoming noticably crooked around the age of 14. I cannot breathe out of my left nostril, and during allergic reactions (pollen, cats, dogs, mold) both of my nostrils close entirely. If I get surgery repairing the deviated septum will my nose LOOK straighter? Thanks!

Will repairing my deviated septum straighten my nose? Will that be covered by insurance?

Hello chaejaehase,
Thanks for your question.
A septoplasty is commonly performed when trying to straighten out the nose.  If you have fixed blockage of the nose that doesn't improve with medical treatments alone (antihistamines, nasal saline, humidifiers, etc.) then insurance will often cover the procedure.
I recommend that you consult with a nasal surgery specialist for septoplasty and see if they can treat you medically initially.  If you fail this, then they can attempt to get the procedure covered via your medical insurance.
The nose won't become perfectly straight, but it will be improved significantly.  Septoplasty is often combined with other maneuvers to optimally straighten the nose.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty

Septoplasty alone rarely can straighten out a crooked nose as it is usually just one component of what you see on the outside. A more complete septorhinoplasty procedure is usually needed.

Will repairing a deviated septum straighten the nose?

Septal surgery will improve your airway and is covered frequently by insurance plans, however septoplasty as it is called will not alter the outside appearance of your nose. This is reassuring to some, a disappointment to others who will need rhinoplasty for nasal straightening.

Cosmetic rhinoplasty to straighten the nose, functional septoplasty for breathing

A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose when there is twisted bone and cartilage blocking air flow. A septoplasty is performed for functional reasons and medical necessity, but does not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty is performed to straighten the nose, shave down the dorsal hump, and make adjustments to the nasal tip. Both a rhinoplasty and septoplasty can be performed at the same time under the same anesthetic with the same  recovery, however patients must pay for the cosmetic component themselves. For more information about the differences between a rhinoplasty and septoplasty, please see the video below

Will septoplasty straighten my nose?

Straightening your septum might change the external appearance of your nose, but usually the answer is "no."  This is due to anatomy of the nose.  The dorsal septum is attached to both the upper lateral cartilages and the lower lateral cartilages.  These connections usually have to be altered in order the properly straighten a crooked nose.  As such, a rhinoplasty is generally required.  

Regarding your allergies, I recommend talking with an ENT who also specializes in allergies.  They would be able to get your allergy symptoms under control.  Hope this helps

Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straigher nose with just a septoplasty?

Can the nose become straighter with just a septoplasty? The answer is a definite "maybe." Most of the time a septoplasty alone will only minimally straighten the nose. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the portion of the septum that runs along the bridge of the nose needs to remain intact to provide support for the nose. Second, the septum is contiguous with the upper lateral cartilages of the nose, which also contribute to the twisted appearance. So although there may be slight improvements in straightness with just a septoplasty, if straightness is a high priority for you then you will likely want to consider a rhinoplasty at the same time.

Hope this helps,

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nasal Evaluation and Deviated Nasal Septum

Thanks for your post. You will need a complete in-person examination and consultation in order to properly answer the question of straightening of your nose. Sometimes the proper correct of a deviated nasal septum can improve the straightness and appearance of your nose. Unfortunately, some cases require rhinoplasty and cartilage graft placement in order to achieve a straighter appearance. 

In your particular case, you may also benefit from an allergy consultation and sinus evaluation to address your concerns regarding allergic reactions. Please consult with an ENT/ Facial Plastic Surgeon for an opinion on how to best proceed. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon