Does talking on the phone increase swelling after rhinoplasty?

Hi, it has been 2 in a half months since my rhinoplasty. Whenever I talk on the phone for a long time, I feel as if my swelling has increased. Is that right? Or why do I feel such a feeling

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

Talking on the phone will not cause nasal swelling, unless of course, you are lying down for long periods of time when you talk. After rhinoplasty, intermittent swelling of the nose often occurs in a "saw-tooth" pattern that gradually diminishes over time. Common causes of short term swelling include heat, exertion, diet and recumbency. Over time, these fluctuations will diminish and eventually cease to occur. It is always a good policy to keep your doctor informed of any concerns that you have. Best wishes.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Routine normal activities like talking on the phone will not contribute to post-operative swelling.  You will experience some swelling for up to a year post-rhinoplasty.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Hello.  Swelling after rhinoplasty takes many months to go away, and majority is gone by two months.  The nose will continue to settle and heal for a year.  You can go ahead and talk since talking will not worsen your swelling.  More common things that will prolong swelling after surgery include strenuous exercises and staying out in sun too long, but even these factors don't worsen swelling by 2.5 to 3 months.  If you have concerns, make sure you follow up with your surgeon.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

You can relax and talk on the phone.  There are no medical studies that show talking on the phone causes swelling after Rhinoplasty.  Check in with your surgeon to confirm you are healing well.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Does talking on the phone increase swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for submitting your question.  Swelling after a rhinoplasty, with tip work will last for a year.  The swelling is intermittent and there will be days that it is worse.  Talking on the phone will not lead to increased swelling 2.5 months after a rhinoplasty.  Discuss ypur concerns with ypur surgeon. Best wishes.