How to clear upper lip melasma? (photo)

I have melasma on my upper lip and can't seem to exfoiliate it away or get rid of it, tried IPL it helped but didn't complete, also my face doesn't go in the sun. Only fake tan if I need colour and even that shows up the "moustache" really bringing me down dealing with this, ANY treatment with proven results please advise. I'm devastated by this, it's so ugly and unfeminine... thank you so much

Melasma treatment

I would recommend consulting a dermatologist and doing a chemical peeling with glycolic acid. It is normally a good treatment for melasma, multiple sessions may be necessary . Good luck.

Montreal Dermatologist

Treatment options for melasma

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist