I did Laser Resurfacing around 5 times for my acne scars, it's made my beard go from full to patchy. What can I do?

Im a man 23years old. The laser destroyed my beard follicles..so many bald spots in my beard right now becoz f the laser resurfacing..what should i do now ? Is there any medication to be followed to get my beard back?

Laser treatments for acne scarring are usually performed with a CO2 laser or a Erbium laser, with the CO2 laser regarded by most experts as the gold standard.  It is very unusual for these lasers to affect hair/beard growth.  

Lasers that affect hair follicles, and consequently used for hair removal, are lasers that use a different wavelength than CO2 or Erbium.  There are some offices that will use a ND/YAG laser, for example, to improve acne scarring that can have an effect on hair follicles.  

A good non-laser treatment used to treat acne scarring (with or without CO2 laser resurfacing) is microneedling.  

If the beard does not grow back hair transplantation can be performed to replenish your beard min most cases.

Facial hair loss with skin resurfacing

Thank you for sharing your question. It is unusual to see significant facial hair loss following laser skin resurfacing. This probably occurred as a results of the many treatments. Over time, much of the hair will grow back. I hope this helps.  Good luck,

Decreased hair after laser tx

One of the side effects of laser treatments especially in men, is decreased facial hair. There is not really anything that can increase the hair growth back in the areas you had treated for the scarring. It would be more effective to have laser hair removal done to thin out everything else.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Laser and facial hair

Laser treatments can destroy hair follicles.   I recommend evaluation by a dermatologist or hair restoration specialist. Sometimes other conditions may be causing this hair loss and need evaluated. Platelet rich plasma/PRP treatments have been shown to be effective in alopecia. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Givens, MD
Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon