Which form of laser therapy would be best for rosacea treatment? (Photos)

I have seen result a few years ago with IPL therapy, but only did 3 sessions. Approximately how many sessions would be needed to see optimal and lasting results? My skin texture is being affected now.

Rosacea and V-Beam Laser

The V-Beam laser is the gold standard for rosacea treatment.  It will take several treatments to have the best results spaced approximately one month apart.  Best, Dr. Green

Reducing Rosacea--Pulsed Dye Laser/V Beam, Yellow Laser, IPL, Microsecond Yag, Clear + Brilliant

I find that vascular lasers help all forms of rosacea including flushing and papulopustular, but isotretinoin is often best for the PP type. It's difficult to give you a time-frame, but it will take a series of treatments. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Rosacea and lasers...

Thank you for your question.  The 2 best lasers for redness associated with Rosacea are the Excel V and Pulsed Dye laser.  With the Excel V you can expect 1-3 treatments to resolve your Rosacea.  The Pulsed Dye may take 1-5 sessions.  Please consult with an expert Board Certified Dermatologist.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers for rosacea?

Rosacea is not an easy or simple malady to correct.  There are variations of this troublesome condition, ranging from mild to severe. We don’t really ‘cure’ it, rather we ‘manage’ and try to improve rosacea both with topicals and lasers. We have found using both IPL (intense pulsed light) and the 532/940 focused lasers have afforded our patients relief and improvement after several sessions. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pulse dye laser vs IPL- don't forget skin care as well.

Rosacea is very complex and a tailored treatment program give the best results. This is because there are many types of rosacea (telengtctatic or capillaries, flushing and redness, acne like rosacea, ocular rosacea and even rhinophyma rosacea.)

To add to the complexity, everyone has different flare factors- Sunlight, stress, foods, chemical irritants, creams, changes in temperature, alcohol. The list goes on. 

A detailed history, together with a treatment tailored according to YOUR type of rosacea will give the best results. As a guide, I use a combination of -

1. Lasers ( to treat redness, broken capillaries, rhinophyma, flushing)- best laser is the V BEAM. IPL can be used, but usually not as effective as the pulse dye laser. Laser toning using the long pulse Nd Yag at 1064 can help with background redness. 

2. Creams - anti inflammatory

3. Tablets -anti - inflammatory and sometimes low dose Vitamin A. 

4. For females- Mineral make up is recommend, over make up that contains parabens. 

For the best results, consult a dermatologist for both medical and laser treatment options. 

Kind regards.

Dr Davin S. Lim.

Laser Dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

IPL is a good choice

Since you had good results with IPL in the past, I'd recommend starting there. Vascular lasers would be an option if IPL were not helping. We generally treat rosacea with 6-8 IPL treatments, then do maintenance treatments as necessary. 

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

VBeam Laser for Rosacea

While IPL can provide improvement for rosacea, a more aggressive, effective approach would be treatment with a vascular laser, such as the VBeam. It is difficult to say how many treatments will be necessary, however for cases such as yours, I typically start with the recommendation of 3-5.

How long your results will last will depend on the severity of your rosacea, as well as how you take care of your skin between and after treatment. While VBeam laser treatments can successfully improve the redness you are currently experiencing, there is no cure for rosacea, only means to keep the condition under control. Using gentle, quality skincare products, as well as the appropriate medication can be imperative to maintaining clear skin. It can also be helpful to be aware of your particular triggers (sun exposure, extreme heat or cold, spicy foods, etc.) in order to do your best to avoid flare-ups.

Keep in mind that while VBeam treatments will help to improve the color of your skin, the texture will have to be addressed by a different laser when and if you feel it is necessary. Be sure to consult with a board certified Dermatologist in regards to treatment. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon