Dpending on depth electrosurgery, liquid nitrogen, Ipl or laser can effectively remove brown spots. It is best to see a dermatologist to customize a treatment .
How to remove brown spots from face?
Thank you for your question. Brown spots ( Hyperpigmentation ) can be caused by more than just sun exposure alone. Start by consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for an evaluation for the treatment plan that is best for you.
Facial brown spots
Hello. First and foremost, it is important to see a dermatologist, to diagnose the type of brown spots that are present on your face. If they are deemed to be benign, they could be benign Keratoses that can be treated with either electrodessication or LN2. If they are sunspots(lentigines), IPLs are a great option, including daily sunscreen usage.
Light chemical peels and melasma
Our office specializes in the treatment of age spots and melasma. I would begin with application of Melarase creams twice daily followed by light chemical peels and IPL Limelight if appropriate.
Remove brown spots from face
There are a number of treatments that you can use. The first step is to choose an experienced and expert board certified physician who can guide you.
1) A good sunscreen is a must - we prefer a broad spectrum at least 50 SPF for South Florida
2) Core Obagi which includes clear, blender, and Retin A
3) You may also benefit from a cutting edge Halo Laser Treatment(possibly a BBl/ipl treatment).
Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified physicians to understand your options.
Removal of dark spots on the face
You should consult a facial surgeon in office to evaluate what those dark patches are. Sun damage and irregular pigmentation can be treated safely and effectively with an erbium laser. The skin will have less discoloration, fewer lines and more elasticity following the treatment. Maintenance can be achieved with Hydtowuinone 4% and Retin A. Sunblock should always be used as well.
Options for dark spots on the face
Dark spots occur from chronic sun exposure and are signs of what is known as photo damage or sun damage. Treatment depends on the extent and severity and skin type. Generally Intense Pulsed light (IPL) also known as photo facial is an excellent option with little downtime and can also treat broken capillaries or spider veins. More than one treatment may be needed depending on the severity of photo damage. The treatment requires patient commitment to skin care after procedure and avoiding sun exposure for 1-2 weeks. Chemical peels are also another good option for treatment of dark spots. Laser treatment is also very effective especially if you also want to treat wrinkles at the same time but have more downtime associated with it.
Many different options for dark spots
Dark spots are an issue for lots of people. The two main causes of dark spots are hormonal (as seen with Melasma) and sun damage (the primary cause of pigmentation on the skin).
Today we have many great treatment options that would clear your brown spots. Depending on your pigmenation, we would use a combination of the following to give you back clear even toned skin without dark/brown spots.
- IPL is a great treatment. It stands for Intense Pulsed Light and can be used for both brown and red coloration on the skin. This is a great treatment for global rejuvenation
- Alexandrite laser can be used to treat dark concentrated brown spots and literally blasts away the pigment. The pigment will crust and fall off, leaving clear fresh skin underneath.
- Chemical peeling agents will help turnover the skin cells, removing pigmentation and revealingl new unpigmented skin
- Topical agents can be used in combination with the above treatments to help improve results. Ingredients such as sepi-white and hydroquinone are two of the many different ingrediants show to reduce pigmenation on the skin.
I hope that helps answer your questions.
Dr. Dennis Gross
Our IPL Treatments work best!
The IPL treatments are done in our office using topical anesthesia. They take about 30 minutes. Your skin may be pink for about an hour. Then the dark spots become darker and fade away over two weeks.
Treatment Options - Brown Spots
There are multiple treatment modalities available to assist in improvement of brown spots such as skin care, lasers, broadband light therapy, chemical peels among other treatment options. Decision for treatment will be based on various factors such as the problem that the treatment is aimed, patient skin type, budget and recovery time. Consult with a board certified physician to see which option would be best to meet your concerns.