I am a 34D, am I too big to get implants? (photos)

I wear a 34D, but I am scheduled for 295 CC implant. I was originally thinking I wanted a breast lift, but I am 23 and my doctor said he did not recommend it because of the scarring. He said if I got implants it would fill me out better. I am concerned that I will look unnatural and too big with 295 CCs though. I am 5'7'' and 140 lbs.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Lift/Augment Options

If you do not want larger breasts and you do want the breasts you have to be perkier and lifted, then it does not sound as though you are taking the best approach. Without pictures or an exam it would be difficult to provide specific advice for you but adding weight will increase the likelihood of breasts drooping and will increase their size so I suggest that you reconsider your options and seek a second opinion if necessary.
All the best

Too big for implants

If you intended there to be pictures, they did not come through, so it is difficult to answer your question. I guess it depends on what your goals are. If you are already a 34D and you make the breast larger, one has to consider that the breasts will droop over time.  Yes there will be scars with a lift, but the trade-off is a better shape to the breast. Putting in an implant may just delay the inevitable. If a larger size is your goal, then the implants would be the way to go. Sometimes a combination of a lift with a small implant to obtain fullness over the upper  chest is the solution.  I like to have my patients bring in pictures of what their goal look is and that way we can discuss whether that is achievable and if so how.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Bigger is not always better

It is difficult to tell without any photos, but the first thing you need to decide is if you want to be bigger since you're already a D cup. 295cc is not a large implant and may be all you need to fill you out, and with your height will probably work with your frame. I always recommend trying on the implant before surgery so you get an idea of the final result.

Elizabeth A. Kinsley, MD
Covington Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Lift - Is this Needed

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you may need another consultation to determine not only implant size but also if you need a breast lift. Yes, breast lifts to come with a scar but trying to overcome a sagging breast with a large implant will add volume but won't bring your breasts to a height that you would be happy with.  Try to find a surgeon who utilizes 3D imaging so that you can see not only the implant choice but also a lift vs. no lift on your particular body.Wishing you all the best,Steven Camp MD#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Size

I would suggest going back to your doctor and ask to try on that size. You could easily go up to a DD or E with that size. Bigger, however, is not higher, and can weigh more, and sag more over time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon