Is Breast Ptosis normal on an 18 year old? (photos)

I've noticed this since puberty. I started puberty really early. Like 10 years old early. My breasts really started to droop or "sag" at age 12/13. I've never been confident in my body and my breasts are the reason. The size isn't an issue, but the drooping makes it very uncomfortable to go braless. Which should be the other way around. They're not perky, as you can see. But I'm not sure what to do or say if I go to a doctor about this or what to expect. I often considered surgery as I get older

Is ptosis normal at your age?

Unfortunately, genetics play a large role in what our breasts look like.  A breast lift or a reduction is not an unreasonable surgery for you at 18 years old.  Because the nipple and areola stay attached to the breast mound, many patients are still able to breastfeed, maintain sensitivity, etc.  Please be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for optimal outcome.  Good luck!

Breast sagging

The shape of your breasts can be attributed to many factors such as the weight of the breasts, your genetics, and weight gain/loss.  There are options available to you such as a breast lift or reduction that will reshape your breasts.  I would recommend visiting a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation to learn about the benefits and risks to these procedures and to discuss options.

Camille Cash, MD

Is Breast Ptosis normal on an 18 year old?

Thank you for your question. You have large breasts and ptosis can be common even in young women. If you're happy with your current breast size, then you would benefit from a breast lift. If you feel that your breasts are too large, then you could consider a reduction and lift which are performed at the same time.Make sure that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon. They will examine you and discuss all of your options.

Breast ptosis after puberty

Thanks for your inquiry and many young women with normal breast development acquire breast size and ptosis (drooping) during puberty.  Much of this is genetically driven.  I suggest you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  

Is Breast Ptosis normal on an 18 year old

Although not common, the problem of breast ptosis does exist for women of your age.The earlier the breast start to grow, the greater the chance for the sagging to start. Body weight changes can also affect it. I think that the only option for you is to have a surgical breast lift. Even if you do the surgery, I would strongly suggest wearing a bra. Although it will not completely stop any future sagging, it will allow some support so that not as much stress is placed on your skin to support the breast size you have   

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Ptosis since young age...

It is difficult to be experiencing significant breast ptosis at such a young age, but you are not alone. A large number of women have similar concerns.

Current research highlights the following as risk factors for sagging:

Greater age, History of significant weight loss (>50 pounds), Higher BMI, Large bra cup size, Pregnancy, Smoking

As women age, the Cooper’s ligaments – the connective tissue that helps breasts keep their shape- stretches out. Aging also causes breasts to transform into having more fat rather than breast tissue making them less perky and making them appear deflated.

Although you cannot control the natural aging and sagging effects, or a genetic link, factors such as weight fluctuation and smoking are in your control.

In fact, maintaining a healthy weight is important because the higher the ratio of fat to breast tissue within your breast, the increased risk of breast sagging. Having a healthy diet will also be protective (i.e., slow down) of aging effects and sagging effects.

Also, please note that breast sagging worsens with the number of pregnancies you have, and that neither greater weight gain during pregnancy or breast-feeding is found to be associated with a higher risk of breast sagging.

Additionally, there are many health fitness magazines and fitness trainers that propagate the claim that participation in regular upper body exercise prevents or corrects sagging. However, there is still no evidence of a protective effect. However, it is recommended to wear sports bra during exercise because the constant pull of gravity and the excessive movement during running can stretch the breast tissue possibly leading to sagging.

Having said all this, I urge you to seek a board-certified plastic surgeon to have an in-person consultation for a breast lift. A breast lift can raise your breasts, make them firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Droopy breasts in your teens

It is not uncommon to have breasts similar to yours early in life. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are. If your breasts have stopped growing, you may very well want to consider a breast reduction. This operation also gives you a very nice Lift and makes your breasts more proportionate to your body.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast ptosis is normal and sometimes bothersome for many women of different ages

The breast development during puberty can result in a wide range of sizes, shapes and asymmetries. You have some features of tubular breast development based on your photo provided. Reshaping, lifting and improving your symmetry is possible. An experience Plastic Surgeon will be able to discuss your options, the risks and the limitations of surgery. Improving your comfort and confidence is likely to be be very successful when you are ready.Regards,Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Many people choose cosmetic surgery to change/reduce the size of their breasts. In your case a breast lift or mastopexy would allow your Plastic Surgeon to remove excess skin, reposition and resize the areolas and  create a new, perkier breast shape without losing much in the way of volume. I recommend that you book an in person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and options.
All the best

Breast Ptosis

Hello,Thank you for your question and photo. Unfortunately breasts develop differently in every one (men and women) and differently on each side. It is more uncommon to find someone with symmetrical breasts. We see many patients like yourself. A couple options can be available depending on what your long term goal may be. A breast lift (mastopexy) will help lift the breast although you may loose a half to full cup size. Another option would be performing a mastopexy and placing an implant if you are wanting maximum upper pole fullness and not wanting to go smaller in volume. As with any change to the body you want to sit down and decided what is the most important priority (such as symmetry, incisions, volume, etc). Exploring options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will definitely benefit you and hopefully help allow you to be a confidant woman.

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS