Can I donate blood two weeks after a BA?

A different sort of questions here: My organization is having a blood drive and surgery is listed on the ineligibility list and length of time before you can donate is when healing is complete and feeling well. Wondering if for any reason I shouldn't donate.

Breast augmentation usually results in minimal bleeding. Nevertheless I would not suggest that you give blood before the surgery.

Blood donation after surgery

I wold refrain from giving blow for several months so that you have enough time to heal.  Best of luck.

Blood Donation

You will most likely have very minimal blood loss during BA so you should be in good shape to donate blood afterward if you are in otherwise good health. I recommend that you clear this with your Plastic Surgeon.
All the best

Donating blood 2 weeks post-op

Hello and thank you for your question. There is typically minimal blood loss in a breast augmentation procedure. Blood cell count should not be a problem but all of the anesthesia drugs and all of the narcotic pain medicine should be cleared out of your system before donating blood. The only real way to know is to call the blood drive organization and find out how long until you are eligible after a breast augmentation surgery. You could also reference your own plastic surgeons advice when you call i.e. my surgeon believes in 6 weeks time all narcotics should be cleared and healing will be almost finished. Best wishes.

Traci Temmen, MD

Donating blood after surgery

Thanks for your question, and blood donation is a very worthwhile cause for sure. I would say that if you are feeling well, pain is controlled without prescription medication, and you are back to a fairly normal routine and diet, then blood donation should be OK. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon