How long should one wear compression vest after Gynecomastia surgery?

Using a Compression Garment After a Gynecomastia Surgery

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

However, each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. Your board-certified surgeon will recommend the use of the garment, or not, depending on your individual case and surgical procedure. Therefore, if you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chest Compression Vest Wear

COMPRESSION GARMENT: The extra pressure this elastic garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering. In my practice for most patients I recommend circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, and switch to an exercise compression garment when advised. Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you specific advice.

Chest Compression Vest Wear

Post op instructions

Thank you for your question. I normally suggest that my patients wear the compression vest for 3-4 weeks, but I would advise you to check with your surgeon as we all differ somewhat in our preferences.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Post op instructions

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Compression After Gynecomastia Procedure

In my practice, I instruct my patients to wear their compression vests for 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure to help reduce swelling and support the skin. Consult with your surgeon for his or her suggestions.

How long should I worked my compression garment after gynecomastia surgery?

Each surgeon has his or her own postoperative regimen for compression garment wear after gynecomastia reduction. Most surgeons would recommend use of the compression garment for 4-6 weeks. The length of time will depend to some degree on the extent of the surgery. It is important that you follow the recommendations of the surgeon who has performed your surgery.

Gynecomastia Surgery and the Compression Vest

For my patients, I have them wear the vest for 6 weeks. Best to check with your surgeon for your particular case. Good luck.

Length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have.  This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.  

Compression therapy

Please talk to your plastic surgeon because each surgeon has their own protocols.  I generally advise compressive therapy for 6-8 weeks after gynecomastia surgery.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Compression therapy

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX