6 Weeks post Gynecomastia without Liposuction. Will the scar tissue underneath my areola ever fade away?

Hello doctors, allow me to thank you in advance for the generous time you provide for us. I'm almost 6 weeks post surgery and I have scar tissue underneath my aerola,I'm massaging it everyday, is it likely to fade away?! it seems hopeless to fade naturally after all the reviews I have read so far! I know that I have to wait 6 month for final results, my question would be if there is any possible chance that my scars would disappear naturally, did it happen before to other patients? Regards Cheers

6 Weeks Post Gynecomastia Without Liposuction

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

The firmness under the areola six weeks after gynecomastia excision is likely to go away.

Resolution of swelling in the firmness the goes with it may take several months after gynecomastia treatment with or without liposuction.

Scar tissue following gynecomastia surgery.

Without seeing a photograph it is hard to advise you with a great deal of accuracy.
In general, in an adult, it takes about a year from the time of surgery until the scar will look the way it will for the remainder of your life. Scars will get more red and raised for about six months after surgery, which is normal wound healing in an adult (this gets more complicated since you did not mention your age).
Scars are permanent but in my experience the scars around the perimeter of the areola eventually look very good. Be patient and you will probably do well.
If you are going to be out in the sun, wear a sun block on the scars.

John Newkirk, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon